Q & A Forum
Experienced coaches are ready to answer your basketball questions! Visit our forum
Coach Adam Hepker was the starting point guard for Coach Lamar at MidAmerica Nazarene from 2004 - 2008. They qualified for the national tournament in each of his four years, advancing to the Final Four three times and winning the National Championship in 2007. Hepker earned All-American honors his sophomore, junior, and senior year, and was MVP of the National Tournament in 2007.
Some of Coach Adam Hepker's credentials include:
- Currently, Adam is is the Lead Assistant at Ottawa University in Arizona
- Coach Hepker was the Lead Assistant at Grand View University in Des Moines, Iowa for the last two years
- Three years with MoKan, the top AAU program in the Midwest
- Coached 16U Select and now 15 Elite's the last two years
- Hepker has coached multiple D1, D2 and NAIA guys in those three years
- At MNU he coached two All Americans himself but was part of a program that has had 28 total
- Adam worked at Rocky Lamar's Fundamentally Driven Basketball Camp for 5 seasons, in that time working with over 3000 campers
- Hepker has worked for a coach that has won over 650 games
- Adam was named the HAAC Player of the Year in 2007 & 2008
- He has been named a Champion of Character Award winner, and was a two-time NAIA-Daktroncis Scholar-Athlete
- He was elected to into the MidAmerica Nazarene's Hall of Fame in 2013
- Played professionally in Germany for a year and a half season in the ABA in Kansas City
- Coach Adam Short is currently the Assistant Men's Basketball Coach at State Fair Community College in Sedalia, Missouri along with coaching for MOKAN where he has coached & mentored over 20 college players ranging from Division 1 to JUCO. Coach Short has also helped MOKAN win several national and regional tournaments. He also helps lead the youth side for MOKAN
- Previously, he was the Assistant Men's Coach at Missouri State - West Plains and defeated two top ten teams in the country, and helped coach four all region players
- Adam played his collegiate basketball at Avila University where he was team captain and a 1,000 point scorer. Additional credentials while playing were team MVP, 2nd team all conference, and honorable mention all conference honors
- Coach Short has been working Breakthrough Basketball camps for the last three years and has been receiving GREAT reviews from parents & campers
Aundrey WrightCoach Wright has over 23 years of experience including stints at 7 different colleges; man of high integrity; dedicated professional; demonstrated leader; a tireless worker and effective communicator; determined to motivate students.
- Served an integral role in leading University of Indianapolis to 6 straight NCAA Tournament appearances (2010 – 2016)
- Instrumental is helping Univ. of Indianapolis climb to as high at #1 in the nation during the 2014-2015 season
- Developed three All-American guards as an assistant at the University of Indianapolis
- At Southern Illinois, instrumental is helping team secure an NIT bid and advance to the second round
- At California University of PA, instrumental is earning co-champs of the PSAC and #16 nationally ranking
- At St. Louis CC – Meramec, developed All-American Mike Branson and advanced to the NJCAA National Tournament
- Additional camp coaching experience includes: University of Kansas, University of Illinois, University of Oklahoma, St. Louis University, St. Mary’s College, Southwest Missouri State, Stephen Bardo Camp, Ballstar, Rich Falk Basketball Camp, Shoot 4 The Stars, and a variety of Breakthrough Basketball Camps
- Brice is currently the assistant coach/consultant with the 4A Alaska State Champion Juneau Douglas Crimson Bears. Coach Searles himself won back to back 4A Alaska State Basketball Championships in 1996-97 and again in 1997-98 with now NBA Star Carlos Boozer.
- Coach Searles does basketball clinics with Durango Parks and Recreation in Colorado the last 2 years prior to his recent move to Alaska.
- Brice spent 6 years with the Los Angeles Lakers Summer Youth Camps, 2 years at the Michael Jordan Flight School, Snow Valley Basketball School and University Of Colorado Summer Basketball Camps.
He then transferred to Fort Lewis College in Durango, Colorado for 1 year. He won the R.M.A.C. Scoring Championship at 25.0 pts. per game, was an All-District 7 1st Team leading that region in scoring, rebounding and blocked shots. He was an All-American Honorable Mention in 1985.
Brice then went on to play in the Denver Pro Am league before playing professionally in Quito, Ecuador for 3 years with LaSalle and Liga Deportiva. Coach Searles won the Ecuadorian League Scoring Title there averaging 39.5 points per game and has 3 international scoring records of 60 points twice and 72 points in a game. His team went on to win the Ecuadorian Championship and represented Ecuador in the South American Championship in Caracas, Venezuela.
Coach Searles has a lot of valued experience that he is willing to share with your campers.
Coach Cameron Nichols will be entering his second season as an assistant men's coach for Saginaw Valley University. The school made history last season, marking the first time that the team has had three consecutive seasons with at least 17 wins
Prior to coaching at Country Day, Cameron was the head coach at Detroit Renaissance High School for six years, where was named the MHSAA Region 2 Coach of the Year in 2008 after leading the team to a district crown. They claimed two PSL West League championships under his direction. Thirteen of Nichols's players from Renaissance played collegiate basketball, including 10 of whom competed in the GLIAC
During his high school coaching tenure, Nichols coached elite travel team basketball with the REACH Legends youth basketball program. Nichols has been involved with Elite basketball camps around the state, including the Michigan Elite 25 camp and the Reaching Higher Showcase. He has run Coach Cam's Elite 90 Shooting Session, which is one of the top tier shooting camps in the Midwest
Cameron, an alumnus of Saginaw Valley State University, played four years for the Cardinals from 2000-2003. He was named the Thoroughbred Award winner his junior season. Cameron was honored with the Senior Award in 2003 and was named the GLIAC Player of the Week in February of that year. Nichols was also named the team's Most Improved Player in both his freshman and sophomore season
This will be Coach Nichols second year with Breakthrough Basketball
Coach Scales has been working Breakthrough Basketball camps for the past three years. Carl brings many years of experience including:
- Girls’ Varsity Assistant (2000-2005) - Hopkins High School, Hopkins MN. Helped them to 4 consecutive state tournaments, including their first state championship in 2004
- Boys’ Varsity Assistant (2006-2012) - Eastview High School, Apple Valley MN. Helped them to 4 section final games and 2 state tournament berths, 2010 and 2012
- 15 years of AAU/TRAVEL Basketball Head Coach: Girls - MN Metro Stars & MN Fury Boys - MN Magic, Richfield Select
- Director of Summer Camps and Clinics for the Richfield Boys Basketball Association
Carl has coached with and trained numerous players who have gone on to play college basketball from the D1 level to NAIA. He prides himself in providing sound instruction, his ability to communicate and convey the intricacies of the game, and create an energetic and challenging environment for basketball players to thrive and improve.
Chris has 20 years of university coaching experience. For the last 8 years he has been head coach at the University of Windsor where he has compiled a .750 winning percentage. His teams have been nationally ranked seven of the last eight seasons. He has won multiple coach of the year honors and his teams have won three conference league championships and made two trips to the elite eight. He has coached against top-level NCAA programs like Kentucky, Ohio State, Virginia Tech, St Louis and many others. His players have developed to play professionally in Europe and for the National Program.He has a Master's in Education, a Bachelor of Education and a Degree in Kinesiology. Chris currently resides in Windsor, Ontario but travels world-wide teaching the game of basketball. To learn more about Chris, visit his twitter @Chris__Oliver, or http://basketballimmersion.com/breakthrough-basketball-camper
- 2016-2017: Graduate Assistant at NAIA Central Methodist University in Fayette, Missouri.
- 2015-2016: Assistant Coach at NCAA Division 2 William Jewell College in Liberty, MO.
- 2014-2015: Played senior year of college basketball at NCAA Division 2 William Jewell College. Was a team captain.
- 2013-2014: Played junior year of college basketball at NCAA Division 1 University of Texas Pan-American in Edinburg, Texas.
- 2011-2013: Played freshman and sophomore year at Johnson County Community College in Overland Park, Kansas. Was an All-Conference and All-Region player and the 11th player in school history to join the 1,000 point club as well as a team captain both years.
- Coach Hildebrandt prepped at Park Hill South High School in Riverside, Missouri where he was an All-State player and a member of the 1,000 point club. He was also named as a team captain.
- Christian has worked with Breakthrough Basketball for 5 years.
- Coach has his Bachelor's in Recreation and Sport and is currently working towards his Masters in Education at CMU.
Darnell FordCoach Ford has been working Breakthrough Basketball camps for the last three years. Darnell brings many years of experience including:
- 4 years Assistant Women’s Varsity Basketball Coach where he was the head of development and helped them to conference and district championships.
- 8+ years AAU/TRAVEL Basketball Head Coach for multiple teams, 4th - 12th grade boys & girls.
- 8+ years Skill Development Coach where he coached over 1,000 student athletes, 3 McDonald All - American nominees, and ten 1,000+ scorers. Coach Ford has had over 30 players go on to play at various levels of collegiate basketball.
- 3+ years Point 3 Basketball Alpha Trainer. This is an exclusive group as there are only 27 Alpha Trainers in the world.
- 8+ years Tournament, Camp, & Clinic Director
Dexter LyonsHere are some of Coach Dexter Lyons Achievements & Experience:
- 2000-2002 Played at Daytona Beach Community College
- 2002-2004: Played D1 at the University of Central Florida
- 2001-02: Conference Defensive Player of the Year
- 2003-04: NBA Summer League (Orlando Magic)
- Conference Defensive Player of the Year (A-Sun), First Team All-Conference (A- Sun), NCAA Tournament Participant
- 2004-05 NBA Summer League (Boston Celtics), First Team All-League, First Team All-Imports, Team MVP
- 2006-07: 3rd Round 33rd Overall Pick in 2006
- NBA Development League Draft (Idaho Stampede)
- 2007-08: League Champion, League Cup Finalist 2009-10: Spain LEB Silver League Champion
- 2011-12: Player of Week (Miyazaki)
- 2012-13: 2 time MVP of the Week (Takamatsu)
- 2003-2006 was a Camp Coach/Counselor at the Kirk Speraw Camp at USF
- Held leading role as camp advisor for summer basketball program by providing direct supervision and fundamental basketball instruction to children ages 9 to 13
- Assisted the Head Coach in scheduling events, and contribute to the development of plans for the basketball camp and game responsibilities
- Served as Camp Coach and positive role model for children attending basketball camp by displaying enthusiasm, sense of humor and patience
- Assisted daily with coaching teams, officiating games, and scorekeeping while distributing game play time equally amongst all campers
- Responsible for coordinating the overall practice
- Coach Dexter has been working Breakthrough Basketball camps for the last two years, mostly working around the Southeast part of the country and based in Atlanta, Georgia
Some of Don Kelbick's credentials include:
- Traveled to over 20 different countries training players and teaching basketball.
- Conducted over 1000 basketball clinics and camps training players of all age levels.
Don Kelbick is a long time contributor to Breakthrough Basketball developing dozens of articles, products, and providing ongoing consultation for the site. He also runs the Attack and Counter Skill Development Camps which are offered nationwide.
Don currently lives in Miami Florida training players and running the Drillz N Skillz Basketball Academy He has worked with a variety of great players including Raja Bell, Carlos Arroyo, Rasual Butler, and many other college and NBA players.
- Coach Araujo is currently the Graduate Assistant Men's Coach at University of Central Missouri
- Prior to his current position at UCM, Italo served as an assistant coach at St. James Academy outside Kansas City where he helped lead the Thunder to a 14-8 record in 2016-17 while working for head coach Stan Dohm
- Coach Italo played for Western Wyoming Community College in 2011 where he played for two years before transferring to MidAmerica Nazarene University where he played another two years for legendary coach, Rocky Lamar. Italo was part of a Final Four team his Junior year at MNU
- Italo has been a part of the Breakthrough Basketball team since 2013, helping coach our Attack & Counter, BDT, Elite Guard, and Youth Basketball Camps
- Additionally, Italo has coached for MoKan Basketball for two years, and was a Varsity assistant coach for Immaculata High School in Leavenworth, Kansas
Coach Jamal Edwards has had the opportunity to learn the BDT concepts from our very own Coach Chris Oliver who has put on over 100 BDT Camps throughout the United States. Jamal's road to how he got to this point in his life is outlined below.
- During a basketball course in his senior year of college, Coach Edwards had an assignment to teach one offensive drill and one defensive drill to a group of classmates. His group consisted of international students with no experience in basketball and English was their 2nd language. He felt at ease instructing his group through the drills, and it was from that experience he realized his true calling, “coaching”.
- Coach Edwards was invited back to be an assistant coach at his alma mater (University of Windsor) and wasted no time in making an immediate impact. Under the guidance of current Head Basketball Coach Chris Oliver, Coach Edwards mastered the key components of Oliver's Basketball Decision Training (BDT) and was responsible for player development and recruiting.
- Having a desire to give back to those who gave so much to him, Coach Edwards started the Taylor Made Basketball Academy (2005) in efforts to give the kids from his hometown the same instruction he was exposed to.
- After executing many successful events through the Taylor Made Basketball Academy, Coach Edwards realized teaching fundamentals and discipline needed far longer than a 3-5 day camp to make a lasting impact in the lives of youth. Now he's offering programs targeting underserved communities (inner city, rural, international and military youth), through Taylor Made Prep in Phoenix, AZ (2014).
- Coach Edwards is committed to spreading his passion for academics, athletics, and the benefits of organized sports from the grassroots level to his post graduate college sports prep program.
- He has played at Alpena Community College, University of Minnesota- Crookston, the University of Windsor, and in Switzerland, Germany, and Austria
- Coach Edwards has worked camps throughout Michigan, Ohio, Minnesota, Iowa (Breakthrough Basketball), Kentucky, Arizona, and Ontario, Canada.
- In addition to coaching at multiple levels (College Basketball, AAU, Nike Elite Training Programs), Coach Edwards has trained and developed multiple Division I student athletes.
- Coach Edwards has a bachelor’s degree in Communications from the University of Windsor and is currently pursuing his Master’s in Sports Management at American Public University.
- Coach Kelly is currently the Head Coach at Bunker in Missouri where he has compiled a 49-15 record
- Previously, Coach Kelly was the JV coach under Mike Wilson who has 4 Final Four appearances at Strafford High School.
- During Jarod's playing career at North Central Missouri College, he set school record for 3 point percentage, which still stands at 48%.
- Coach Kelly has been working Breakthrough Basketball camps for the last two years and has been trained under the wing of our Elite Skill Development Coach, Jim Huber who has worked with some of the best players in the world!
- Coach Holzer has been doing Breakthrough Basketball camps for 4 years, learning under the wing of our Elite Skill Development Coach, Jim Huber who has worked with some of the best players in the world!
- Holzer started the basketball program at Alta Vista High School and is currently an assistant coach at Shawnee Mission West, a 6A school in Kansas. Jason also coaches with MoKan, which is a Nike sponsored AAU program out of Kansas City
- His best season as a coach was his Freshman A team going 17-3 at Shawnee Mission West
- Coach Holzer has also worked for Pro Camps with Bill Self
- Owner of Haarlow's Hoops Academy...skills & team training
- Played 2 years of college basketball and golf at Berry College, Rome, GA
- 19+ years of college coaching experience
- 12 years college head basketball coach (Berry College and Tennessee Temple University)
- Over 150 career wins, NCCAA Regional Coach of Year ’13-‘14
- Coached over 20 All-Americans and 6 professional athlete
- Worked numerous Breakthrough Basketball camps since summer of ‘15
Coach Stapleton has been a part of the Breakthrough Basketball team since 2012, leading and assisting in our Attack & Counter, Shooting, Post Man, Elite Guard, and Youth Basketball Camps, as well as coaching in our small group academy in Kansas City.
Jeff has been coaching and training in basketball for the past 20 years at all levels, from youth, to AAU, to high school. His focus is helping kids learn what it takes to make it to the next level. His coaching style is to “Train up” without fear of failure, as well as teaching the “little things” that make that big difference between an ordinary player, and an extraordinary player.
Jeff was a multi-sport athlete in college. Full scholarship playing basketball and baseball at Avila University. Selected team captain and team MVP (Jr. and Sr. year in basketball). Team captain for the baseball team Sr. year.
Jim Huber has developed and coached some of the best players in the world including current NBA players and elite players that attended some of the best college programs in the nation such as Duke and Kentucky.
Some of Coach Jim Huber's coaching credentials include:
- Over 20 years of basketball coaching experience at the youth, high school, and college levels.
- Coached a team to a 1st place finish at the 2013 Nike Global Challenge.
- Coached at the Nike Elite 100 Camp which selects the top 100 high school players.
- #1 Team Defense at 2013 Nike EYBL which has the top 40 Nike
High School teams from North America and consists of 18 regular season
games. Qualified for 2013 Nike Peach Jam.
- A head coach for Mokan Basketball. Mokan is a direct Nike
sponsor program. In 2012 when Coach Huber was Director of Basketball
Operations, Mokan reached the Final Four at the Peach Jam, which only
selects the top 24 teams from the Nike Elite Youth Basketball League
- 45 Championships, 13 Runner-up Finishes, and 26 Final Four Finishes at regional and national tournaments since 2004.
- 42 Collegiate players and 22 at Division 1 level.
Jonathan Bluitt a 4 time high school state basketball champion from OKC McGuinness from 1998 to 2001. Bluitt also played for Athletes First and was the main catalyst for leading Athletes First to its 1st Nike Super Showcase in Orlando, Florida. From there Bluitt took his savvy skills and leadership abilities to Bridgton Academy, being one of the 1st guys out of Oklahoma City to explore the postgraduate experience.
As a collegiate player, Bluitt was a three-year starter and four-year letter winner from 2002 to 2006. Bluitt helped guide Oral Roberts University to a pair of Mid-Continent Conference regular-season Titles, a Mid-Continent Tournament Championship, NIT appearance and the 2006 NCAA Tournament.
Bluitt led the Mid- Continent in assist 3 out of the 4 seasons he played also ranks 2nd as the all time assist leader at Oral Roberts University.
Some of Coach Jonathan Bluitt's coaching credentials include:
- Two years as a graduate assistant under Scott Sutton at Oral Roberts University, where he assisted the coaching staff with player development as well as helping with scouting reports for the opposing team.
- Two years as a JUCO men's assistant at Western Texas College. During his two years at Western Texas College, Jonathan helped coach the team to their first conference tournament in 21 years, since the NolanRichardson era.
- Bluitt has helped with the coaching duties of Athletes first; which is one of the nation’s top AAU elite programs in the country. As well as assistant coaching duties with the Oklahoma Storm (home school) leading the Storm to a Gold Ball Championship and Tulsa Noah.
- Bluitt has worked multiple basketball camps such as the Harlem Globetrotter camp, Kansas University, Oklahoma State University, Oral Roberts University and Oklahoma Christian University.
- He has developed and trained a number of pros as well as some of the top prep basketball players throughout the country.
- Jonathan is a specialist in developing basketball players and inspiring each individual to improve in dribbling, shooting, creating space from the defender and much much more!!!
Katie BohnhoffCoaching Credentials:
- Washington State University (WSU) Women’s Basketball Staff
Dickinson State University, North Dakota: Assistant Coach
Nebraska- High School: 2 Years Head Varsity Coach, 3 Years Assistant
AAU Middle School Coach, Nebraska: 3 Years Head Coach
YMCA Youth Coach, Nebraska (Pre-K –5th Grade boys & girls): 5 Years Experience
Private Lessons and Personal Training Experience (boys & girls): 5 Years Experience
Bachelor of Science in Kinesiology, WSU & Certified Strength & Conditioning Specialist (CSCS)
Set school record for most career 3 point shots made, WSU
Became 12th Cougar in history to reach 1000 points, WSU
2010 Female Athlete of the Year (All Sports) & Senior Award Winner, WSU
4 Year Scholarship, 4-year Starter (point/shooting guard), 3-year Team Captain, WSU
Third-team ESPN The Magazine/CoSIDA All-Academic District VIII, WSU
High School Basketball Jersey Retired, Apple Valley High School, California
Prior to this he coached collegiately from 2013-2014 at Weber State University as an assistant coach, and at the University of Oklahoma in 2012-2013 as a graduate assistant under Lon Kruger, and Emporia State University as an assistant in 2012.
Coach McCoy played professionally for 3 years overseas in Sweden and Europe from 2009-2012.
Kellen played his college basketball at Weber State University from 2007-2009 where he was the Big Sky player of the year, and AP All-American Honorable Mention alongside Damian Lillard.
Kyle MillerCoach Miller played at Notre Dame College & Shawnee State University from 2005-2009 where he was a 4 time All-American Mideast Conference member. He was an American Mideast Conference champion (North Division) in the 2007 - 2008 season
Kyle played professionally in the Central Australian Basketball League for 3 seasons (2012-14)
Coach Miller has helped worked at Breakthrough Basketball camps since 2017
Other notable accomplishments:
- 3 time CABL All-Star 5 member (2012, 2013, 2014)
- 2 time CABL leader in assists (2013, 2014)
- 2 time Central District Basketball Club Most Valuable Player (2012, 2014)
- Finished top 5 (in the CABL) in scoring 2 times (2012, 2014)
- Finished top 3 in the Woollacott Medal (CABL MVP) voting (2014)
- Helped lead the Lions to back to back playoff appearances after a stretch of 21 years of not qualifying (2013, 2014)
Western High School (Boys’ varsity coach): 3 seasons (2014-2017)
- Led the Indians to their 1st winning season in 6 seasons (2nd place finish in the Southern Ohio Conference) – 2014-15
- Led the Indians to Sectional and District championships (2015-16)
- Led the Indians to their first Regional (sweet 16) appearance in Ohio’s state tournament in 8 seasons (2015-16)
- Led the Indians to their best regular season win total in 8 seasons (2016-17)
- Experienced back to back to back winning seasons (2014-15, 2015-16, 2016-17)
Coach Matt Keeley started coaching as a Assistant at MidAmerica Nazarene University during the 2009-2010 season. A 2004 graduate of MNU, Keeley spent the two seasons prior as a full time assistant at Washburn University. Before Washburn, he taught and coached at Manhattan High School.
Some of Coach Matt Keeley's credentials include:
- Keeley has recruited and coached 3 All Americans and 2 Conference Players of the Year and 13 All Conference Players
- Matt Keeley has coached for 7 college seasons and in over 225 games
- He is currently in his 5th season to have coached with Nike EYBL program, MoKan Elite
- In 4 completed seasons Coach Keeley has directly coached over 25 players earning college scholarships including players in the SEC, Big10, Missouri Valley, Big East and Mountain West conferences
- Matt has been the Camp Director at Rocky Lamar's Fundamentally Driven Basketball Camp for the past 5 seasons in that time working with over 3000 campers
- Starting point guard for MNU 2000-2004
- During his playing career at MNU, his team advanced to the Elite Eight three times
- Keeley earned All-American honors his junior and senior seasons, leading the NAIA in assists as a senior
- Matt was named the HAAC Player of the Year in 2004, a Champion of Character Award winner and was an Academic All-American
- Along with conducting Breakthrough Basketball camps, Keeley is in charge of recruiting as well as help with scheduling, travel, and on-floor coaching duties at MidAmerica Nazarene
Coach Nate Bowie is currently an assistant men's basketball coach at Mt. Hood Community College outside Portland, Oregon. Coach Bowie has been involved with Breakthrough Basketball for the last three years, assisting at camps around the Kansas City area, as well in Portland.
Coach Bowie played eight years of professional basketball in Africa, Canada, Europe, the Middle East and the United States. He played in NBA D-League, Canada, NBA Summer League, Morocco, Slovenia, Spain, Portugal, Qatar, The Republic of Georgia, Ukraine, Turkey, Greece and Kosovo (Balkan League).
Nate was named 1st Team All-Metro, 1st Team All-State and was the 5A Sub-State Champion in Kansas in 2004 before finishing fourth at the state championships.
During the 2004 season, Bowie scored 42 points in a game to break the single game record held previously by NBA veteran Earl Watson.
After high school, Bowie attended Colby Community College (CCC) where he led the conference in scoring and was second in the region with 20.8 points per game. While at CCC, he received NJCAA First Team All Jayhawk Conference, All-Region and was an All-American nominee. From 2004-2006 Bowie attended Central Arkansas University. As a senior, he averaged 17.5 points per game and 20.3 points in Southland Conference action earning the conference scoring title. On February 2, 2008, he scored 39 points in a win against Nicholls State, surpassing Scottie Pippen for the most points scored in a conference game. Bowie earned NCAA D-1 All Southland Conference 2nd Team honors and was an NCAA All-American. At the end of his college career, Rand Chappell described Bowie's career as "solid, and sometimes spectacular."
He was inducted into the Hall of Fame for Colby Community College/Jayhawk Conference in 2016.
See Coach Bowie in action here:
Coach Nicholas Smith is in his fourth season as assistant coach for Southwest Minnesota State Men's Basketball.
2016-17, SMSU had one of its best seasons in school history, tying a
school record with 28 victories, while capturing the NSIC South Division
and NSIC Tournament championships. SMSU also advanced to the NCAA
Tournament for the fourth time in school history, before losing to
eventual national champion Northwest Missouri State in the region
Smith, a two-time All-NSIC second team honoree, he was also named CoSIDA Academic All-District in 2014 and twice was named the SMSU Male Scholar-Athlete of the Year.
Smith is a 2014 graduate of SMSU with a degree in sports management and finance. He is pursuing his master’s degree at SMSU.
This will be Coach Smith's second year with Breakthrough Basketball
Paris DavisCoach Paris has over 11 years of basketball experience and extensive experience as a Breakthrough Basketball Skills Coach.
Paris is a CoachUp Captain, has completed over 1,000 basketball training sessions, and is ranked #1 in the state of Illinois for basketball training on CoachUp.com
Paris is the Program Manager of basketball camps and individual training at several locations in Chicago (Bensenville Park District, Lexington Elementary, ect).
He played varsity basketball for the legendary coach, Gene Pingatore (2002-2005)
-Ranked top 100 in the state of Illinois (2005)
-Named East Suburban Catholic Conference All-Star (2005)
Received academic and basketball scholarship to Saint Xavier University (2005)
-Second leading scorer at Saint Xavier University (2006-2007)
-Helped lead team to the NAIA National Tournament (2007-2008)
-CCAC Honorable Mention Player of the Week at Saint Xavier University (2009)
Other coaching achievements include, but not limited to...
-Christ the King Girls HS Basketball Tournament Champions (2014-2015)
-Christ the King Girls HS Basketball Conference Champions (2014-2015)
-District 89 Boys Basketball Holiday Tournament Champions (2010)
- Prileu played division 1 basketball at The University of Louisville from 2002-2004 getting a chance to experience the Sweet 16 in 2004
- In 2006 he received an invitation from the Phoenix Suns for workouts
- Coach Davis played for professionally in the ABA in Mexico in 2006 averaging 25 points, 8 assists and 7 rebounds per game
- In 2007, Davis played for the IBL's Arizona Lightning averaging a whopping 35 points, 7 assists and 5 rebounds per game
- Currently, Coach Davis is on the Phoenix Suns staff as an assistant coach for the their development team, NAZ Suns
Quentin Mitchell has coached 40 college players, 23 of which have played at the Div 1 level. 6 professional players (one of which was an NBA pick) and has coached over 1,000 kids at various camps and clinics
Quentin was all conference in high school and a McDonald's All-American nominee.
He went on to play at Western Illinois University where he holds the records still today for for most 3 point field goals in a game (9), most consecutive games with a 3 point field goal (6), and highest 3 point field goal percentage in a game going 9/11 for 82%.
Quentin has played all over the world professionally, helping his teams make the playoffs and win championships.
Some of Coach Quentin Mitchell's coaching credentials include:
- Assistant varsity coach at Redford Covenant High School in Detroit, Michigan. Responsibilities included practice planning, organizing game plans, scouting and team development.
- Head JV Coach at Rock Bridge High School in Columbia, Missouri. Team records were as follows: 18-6 (2012-2013), 18-4 (2011-2012), 14-2 (2010-2011), 17-1 (2009-2010)
- Assistant Coach at MOKAN, in Kansas City, Missouri from 2009-2012 and their record was as follows: 36-5 (2012), 50-9 (2011), 56-9 (2010), 57-9 (2009)
- Most recently, along with working with Breakthrough Basketball, he was the head coach for Tilton Elementary School in Chicago where they finished 8-1 and made the Chicago league playoffs for the first time in 4 years!
"This is our second camp we've attended. Coach Q. doesn't miss a beat. My daughter's confidence level has doubled now that she knows in depth what each drill does for her. She loves it." Instructor Quentin Mitchell with Taya Ferguson pictured below....
- Jennifer Metz - Peoria, Illinois - 10 Rating
Hired in the fall of 2013, Rob Southall is now in his fifth season as head coach of the men's basketball program and assistant director of athletics at Elms College in Chicopee, Massachusetts.
Coach Southall’s philosophy of player development have made their mark on the record books at Elms College. His offensive system allowed several student athletes to reach their potential, he has developed four out of the eight thousand point scorers in school history. He has developed back to back NECC Defensive Player of the Year 2017 and NECC Player of the Year 2016, in addition to eight student-athlete have earned All-Conference honors. Not only limited to the success on the court, he has had 10 student athletes on NECC All Academic honors. During Coach Southall tenure the team has four out of five NECC Tournament including the Championship game in 2014-2015.
Coach Southall took the reins of the Blazers’ men’s basketball team after an eight-year stint as a full time assistant coach at Worcester Polytechnic Institute (WPI). During his time at WPI, the Engineers enjoyed tremendous success with Coach Southall on the bench compiling a 178-44 record with six New England Women’s and Men’s Athletic Conference (NEWMAC) regular season championships as well as the 2005-06 and 2012-13 NEWMAC tournament championships, six appearances in the NCAA Division III Championship and the 2011-12 ECAC Division III New England Championship title. WPI also notched 20 or more wins in each of Coach Southall’s eight seasons on staff under head coach Chris Bartley.
Prior to his time at WPI, Coach Southall spent a season assisting Joe Reilly at Bates College and helped guide the team to one of its best seasons in school history (19-8). Bates reached the New England Small College Athletic Conference (NESCAC) Championship tournament final before falling to Amherst College.
A 2002 graduate of Springfield College, Coach Southall played basketball for two seasons and was a graduate assistant coach for the Pride under head coach Charlie Brock for two years. At Springfield, he was also the head junior varsity basketball coach and was heavily involved in recruiting and game preparation. Coach Southall also obtained a master’s degree from Springfield in 2004.
Rustin became a great player while at MidAmerica and says he owes a lot of that to Coach Hepker, Coach Keeley, Coach Fleming and Hall of Fame Coach Rocky Lamar.
- 2 Time NAIA DI All-American
- Heart of America Conference Player of the Year
- Helped his team win Conference Title and Conference tournament Title
- Scored over 2000 points in his college career
- Named Champion of Character Award winner
- Played Professionally in Australia
- Averaged 19 points per game while playing professionally in Australia
- Was awarded Golden Hands Award for the Werribee Devils
- Had the opportunity to run his own camps in Werribee, Australia.
After a strong high school basketball career, Ryan earned a scholarship to play college basketball at Concordia University where he played for 2 years before transferring to finish his college basketball career at Central Michigan University.
Coach Thomas has over 12 years of experience coaching at multiple levels (youth, AAU, YBOA, and High School). Through his dedication, leadership, innovation and tireless work ethic Thomas has become a sought after skills trainer. As a skills trainer he has helped mold thousands of young people around the country developing their game.
Here is a brief overview of Coach Thomas' coaching credentials:
Owner of HoopGrind Basketball - Basketball Development Program (www.hoopgrind.com)
o Trained and developed many college and professional players
o Currently trains players from youth to professional level
- 2016-Present Associate Head Coach / Athletic Director Impact Christian Academy
- 2011-2015 Assistant coach at Edward H. White High School - Jacksonville Florida (6A)
- Multiple top 5 FHSAA state rankings
- Multiple District Championships
- 1 FHSAA Final Four appearance
- Coach Thomas began working for Breakthrough Basketball as a lead assistant in 2015
Coach Tramel Barnes is in his fifth season as assistant coach for Southwest Minnesota State Men's Basketball.
In 2016-17, SMSU had one of its best seasons in school history, tying a school record with 28 victories, while capturing the NSIC South Division and NSIC Tournament championships. SMSU also advanced to the NCAA Tournament for the fourth time in school history, before losing to eventual national champion Northwest Missouri State in the region championship.
SMSU has recorded 72 victories during his four seasons as assistant coach, which included a 19-win season and an appearance in the NSIC tournament semifinals in 2013-14.
Prior to joining the SMSU staff, Barnes completed a five-year collegiate playing career at a pair of NSIC schools. He started his career at Northern State University (2008-10), appearing in 48 games with eight starts in two seasons, before transferring to SMSU in 2010.
Following a red shirt season in 2010-11, Barnes played in 60 career games for the Mustangs scoring 351 points and grabbing 231 rebounds, while dishing out 159 assists. He finished his SMSU career shooting 82.8 percent from the free throw line ranking sixth in program history. As a senior in 2012-13, he averaged 6.0 points and 4.1 rebounds per game and ranked second on the squad with 85 assists.
Barnes is a 2013 graduate of SMSU with a degree in sports management. He earned his master’s degree at SMSU in physical education.
This will be coach Barnes' second season with Breakthrough Basketball.
Troy Slavin graduated from Northeast High School where he was selected First Team All CNC League and All Tournament Team at the Riverton Invitational while averaging 19 points a game, with a CNC season high game of 35 pts. An athletic six foot guard known for his leaping ability, Troy once shattered a backboard and led the CNC in dunks his senior year.
Troy accepted a basketball scholarship to Fort Scott Community College but injuries soon ended his college career. He went on to graduate with a Bachelors degree in Radio and TV Production from Kent State University, and began a career in professional broadcasting for some of the nation's premiere radio stations. At 35, he was nominated for radio's highest honor, the Marconi Award, as the nation's best Large Market Personality. At 37, he was awarded the Butterfly Award, the highest honor given by the Children's Cancer Research Fund, for his work in raising over six million dollars to find a cure.
During his radio career Troy stayed connected to basketball and kids, coaching at St. John the Baptist in Minnesota and playing in exhibition games against the University of Kentucky and Deion Sanders' Dallas Cowboy All Stars. His career took him inside Minnesota Timberwolves practice with Kevin McHale and Sam Mitchell, and on the court to learn a few tricks from the legendary Harlem Globetrotters.
Troy has head coach, assistant coach and instructor experience with kids of all ages and abilities. He is ASEP certified in Coaching and First Aid. His unusual life experience and unique communication and motivational skills all come into play as he teaches the game he loves to young people.
Troy also directs Breakthrough Camps for the Kansas City region. You can view the camps at the following link: