Low Post Chair Pivots
With Videos Below
This is a very versatile drill that allows you to work on positioning, footwork and shot making. Particular attention should be paid to body positioning and pivots. The body should be low and strong through the entire move. Pivots should be made in a direct line to the front of the rim.
Place a chair on both sides of the foul lane, in the low post position, about 4 feet outside side the lane lines.
Place a ball on each chair.
- Player starts under the basket.
Player cuts to right chair. He jumpstops and picks up the ball, placing it in shooting position.
- Player then pivots and executes offensive move.
- Player cuts to 2nd chair and repeats the same move on the other side.
Rebounder gets ball and replaces it on the chair. If there is no rebounder, player should rebound his own shot, cut to 2nd chair and touch the ball to the seat of the chair (to make sure he gets low) and continues.
Drill can be run for a number of attempts, makes or for time.
Examples of Shot Series Practiced:
- Dropstep (baseline), layup - VIDEO
- Dropstep (middle), layup - VIDEO
- Dropstep (middle), jump hook
- Dropstep (baseline), inside pivot (counter), jumpshot - VIDEO
- Dropstep (middle), inside pivot (counter), jumpshot - VIDEO
- Dropstep (baseline), inside pivot (counter), sweep (counter), layup
- Dropstep (middle), inside pivot (counter), sweep (counter), layup
- Front pivot, jumpshot
- Front pivot, step through (counter), lay-up
- Front pivot, step through (counter), dribble, drop step, lay-up
Related Products & ArticlesThe Attack & Counter Skill Development System - DVDs & eBook
How To Develop High Scoring and Highly Skilled Post Players
Rapid Fire Post Moves
Power Dribble Into
What do you think? Let us know by leaving your comments, suggestions, and questions...