Deflect More Passes With This Drill
One of the best ways to stifle an offense is to make them hesitant. A great way to do that is to deflect passes.
In the video clip from Al Marshall's Aggressive 2-3 Zone Defense "The Defense Your Opponents Will Hate!", he takes you through a zone defense deflection drill.
This drill is useful because it improves the defender’s ability to anticipate and deflect passes. This will slow down the offense’s ball movement and result in turnovers.
It also improves reaction time, hand-eye coordination, and lateral quickness.
- Defense starts in their stance with their hands up.
- Defense starts between the two receivers.
- Defense tries to anticipate pass and deflect passes.
- Offensive players pass at will.
- Drill continues for 45 seconds.
- Other groups will be scattered throughout the court.
For beginners, keep passers close. As players get better, increase distance between passers.
Sometimes, the defensive player will have to anticipate the pass and guess.
Solutions and Resources:
What do you think? Let us know by leaving your comments, suggestions, and questions...