Q & A Forum
Experienced coaches are ready to answer your basketball questions! Visit our forum
Zone Defense Tips
1. Keep your hands high and active. This makes it more difficult to pass the ball inside, allows you to cover more space, and causes deflections (turnovers).
2. Stay in your stance (knees bent, butt down) so you are ready to move at all times.
3. Move on the flight of the ball (as the ball is leaving the passer's finger tips) to improve anticipation and quickness.
4. Know where shooters are at all times. Be ready to anticipate and close out quickly on good shooters.
5. Communicate and talk with each other to find the shooter, call out responsibilities, and so on.
6. Keep the ball as far from the basket as possible. As with any defense you want to protect the basket, keeping the ball as far from the basket as possible and forcing the opponent to take difficult shots.
Related Pages and Helpful Resources:
Zone Defense Concepts & Tips
2-3 Zone Defense Basic Rotations
1-3-1 "Lob Pass" Zone Defense
Thoughts on Rebounding in the Zone
|Al Marshall's Aggressive 2-3 Zone Defense - The Defense Your Opponents Will Hate!|
In this DVD set, Coach Marshall reveals all the secrets to his unique 2-3 zone defense. You learn all the drills, slides, tactics, concepts, adjustments, and everything you need to implement the defense yourself. Unlike most DVDs which glaze over the surface, it includes everything you need to implement this defense with your team. It's almost 2 hours long and neatly organized... (more info)
What do you think? Let us know by leaving your comments, suggestions, and questions...