Here's some tips for great jumping form:
- Feet should be about shoulder-width apart or slightly wider.
- Players want to be on the balls (front) of his feet.
- Players want a nice fluid bending of the knees. When jumping, it's important to keep an erect torso.
- When players bend forward too far prior to jumping, this will cause the player use lower-back
muscles which have slow-twitch muscle fibers. As a result, the player will not be as explosive in their jump.
This can also cause immediate or long-term lower back
- When staying upright, it forces players to use their abdominal muscles which are much stronger
and more explosive than the lower-back muscles.
- When jumping, it's important to explode your hips upwards.
- The arms are also very important with jumping. When bending the knees into the jump, the player
should have their hands near their pockets. When jumping, they should swing the arms upward to propel
the jump even higher.
- It's important to also have a soft landing. Players should not allow their ankles to collapse or their knees to bend more than 15 degrees.
It is VERY IMPORTANT for players to avoid jumping workouts on cement or any other hard surfaces. It is best to do this indoors on a wood floor or another surface that has some give to it.
What do you think? Let us know by leaving your comments, suggestions, and questions...