All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 29 Mar 2011, 21:16 

Hi there, I will be a junior in high school this upcoming year and I am trying to really improve over the off season. I have been struggling with inconsistent streaky shooting for a long time, but I have recently been introduced to the Swish method and I am really buying into it. I have been working with this new method for about a month (and I know it takes time to change form) and I am having some struggles. I have recently changed my shooting form from instead of flipping my wrist to get more power and using mostly upper body, to relaxing my entire hand to flop on the release and using more power from my legs. I have been working in close, trying to perfect a consistent release, and just against a wall, but it seems like it will never come together. I have trouble keeping the same form, it seems like it changes each day especially if I miss a day from shooting. I am weak mentally because I have struggled with my shot, but I am a hard worker and love to shoot and learn. I am working on gaining strength over this summer which will only make my shot easier. I was just wondering if there is any tips, drills, or encouragement you could give a young 6'4'' guard on shooting. Sorry to be vague (if I was), and if any more information is needed I will be happy to provide it.

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2011, 05:59 

First of all, don't be so hard on yourself... your still young... 16? And how long have you been playing the game? 5-6 years? You have developed some shooting habits / muscle memory that you are trying to change... and that is going to take some time.

Shooting against a wall and short shots is a great way of accomplishing this... but its going to take some time... tell us what you think is wrong with your shot... short, long, off left, off right, flat etc. Then we might be able to help you out a little more.

If you like Tom Nordlands "Swish" method and its working for you and you feel comfortable... stay with it.... but you are going to have to dedicate yourself to work on this on a daily basis - walk away from the computer/texting/X box etc LOL

If you find yourself not able to shoot with a ball... stand in front of a mirror and form shoot with out it... not the J but like you were doing a BEEF check from the blocks.

Any thoughts?

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2011, 08:35 

I will be 16 this next month. I've been playing ball for as long as I can remember. I know it will take some time, I guess I am just critical and want it to be the best it can be.

I struggle with shooting left and right every once in a while, and short long... but mainly short. I feel like I shoot it different every time. When I first started with the Swish method I was shooting lights out, one motion, connecting more to my shot... I haven't been able to achieve that since then. Right now I am trying to lower my set point just slightly, and pulling my guide hand off completely (because it recently just started pushing a little bit).

Haha, I have no trouble with finding time for practice. I try to get a couple hours a day in normally. Thanks for the response Coach.

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2011, 10:45 

Heath,

Missing left and right.... hold your follow thru until the ball goes in the basket.... that should keep the ball straight... as you release the shot... your elbow should be near your eye releasing in a lifting motion.

Back to form shooting with your guide had FLAT like you were trying to slap something... LOL Keep that thumb pointed towards you.... that should help that problem....

I can tell that you WANT to be a good shooter... you have the entire spring and all summer to work on it.... become a shooting junkie...... I had some kids that would shoot 1,000 free throws a day, 10 at a time, rest a few seconds and then another 10. Their form was great and you know who was handling the ball going down the wire. Automatic at the line. Doing this helped their muscle memory for shooting.

Hang in there and keep on working at this... and let us know how its going.

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2011, 10:52 
Site Admin

On top of what Coach Sar recommends, keep the guide hand up as you follow through. But make sure you're not shooting with the guide hand.

I'm sure this has been mentioned before but I've never heard anybody talk about when it comes to shooting. I see in a lot of shooters pull their guide hand down too early. As a result, the shoulders twist as you are shooting the ball. The twisting motion causes inconsistency and the ball typically goes to the left and right.

The guide hand needs to stay extended with the follow through. This helps the ball stay in a straight line.

And stop thinking! Just shoot the dang ball. :)

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2011, 10:59 

Amen to that Joe! Shoot it and have some FUN! Heck, shooting is FUN..... and remember, you are NOT going to hit every shot. :-)

PostPosted: 07 Apr 2011, 20:58 

Thank you for all the input. Not to whine, but it just seems right when I get my shot exactly where it needs to be I miss a day shooting and I have to re-learn everything. I'm anxiously waiting for it to click (: haha

Also, I don't to overload myself, but I have heard a lot about Dave Hopla and am really impressed by his consistent shooting. What are you thoughts on flicking your wrist/reaching your hand in the cookie jar? I watch college and NBA players shooting form and they all end their shot with their hand reaching down. I agree mostly with the Swish method on the loose release flop, but it seems as though not shooting the ball with your index finger would decrease accuracy. Your thoughts?

PostPosted: 08 Apr 2011, 07:04 

Heath,

Cheese and crackers with that whine? :-) ( I had a student tell another student that in one of my classes and I couldn't resist using that when you used the word - we all need a laugh now and then. )

Okay, Find a form that works for you and that you are comfortable with. I taught "reaching into the cookie jar" and I had some kids that really didn't do that but had pretty good shots.
Quit beating yourself up and have some fun shooting the ball... try this... IF there is a day where you cant find the time or place to shoot... then work on your form without a ball... that will still reinforce your muscle memory.... shoot a 100 form shots without a ball... or find a wall where you can shoot the ball off of... that way you wont miss a workout and that should help you keep your shot where you want it.