All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 27 Apr 2010, 09:02 

I have a question which is all about what kind of defense to employ if our opponent is playing a running game. How to neutralize their running game and whats the best offense since we cant match their stamina for the time being.

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2010, 10:04 

A pack style m2m defense in the half court. What age group are we talking about here?

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2010, 14:00 

If you are trying to stop a running team I would suggest sending two players back once you have taken an offensive shot to prevent poor transition defense. Like Coach Sar suggested, you may wish to play a swagging m2m defense and stop penetration.

Offensively, you want to ultilize your possessions. Most running teams don't like to play defense for very long. I would suggest that you attack the rim and make them guard. Possible motion offense with lots of cutting and movement.
Best of luck.

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2010, 14:15 
Site Admin

As usual, some great advice here. Here are some other options:
- Set a miminum amount of passes. That way, the defense has to work.
- Walk the ball up the court if allowed.
- Mix up defenses to keep offense confused.
- Substitute frequently on dead balls.
- Use 2-2-1 Press to slow down the game.

And an unorthodox method I picked up, change the nets if you can and the rules allow. Buy some tight nets that the basketball doesn't smoothly fall through on made baskets.

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2010, 15:51 

It would be nice to know what age group we are talking about... I never suggest zones with younger kids... but for the older ones I would also suggest a 3/4 court zone pressure... just floating around in front forcing them to slow down their tempo.

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2010, 19:22 
Site Admin

Since you posted in the (13 and up) section of the forum, I assume your coaching high school or older players. But I agree that it would help to know the specific age. I think the answer also depends on your situation, type of players, style of play, etc.

For example, Tom Izzo of Michigan State almost always leads the league in rebounds (thats part of the "style of play). He says that they do not send extra players back against teams that run. He always sends 4 to the offensive boards. He claims that teams are so worried about them getting offensive rebounds (they are so good at it) that the other team spends all their time trying to block out instead of running.

Also, the great teams just play their game and force their opponent to adjust to them. Something to consider down the road.