All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 18 Jan 2010, 20:53 

What is a good defense for stoping an outstanding guard that scores half of a team points?

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2010, 15:49 

I'm assuming this is a point guard and not just a pure shooter. In any case, assume he can't beat you single-handedly, and that his team can't win without him.

I see two strategies to isolate them from each other: in the first case, force him to keep the ball, shoot tough shots and then make absolutely sure there won't be any put-backs. Identify their poor foul shooters and be smart about who gives what fouls (i.e., prevent a put back but don't slap at a dribble in the open court). In the second case, force him to distribute and again, clobber the boards.

My school (Iowa) stuggled against underdog Michigan State teams coached by Judd Heathcote because they tightly controlled the ball, consumed the clock and kept us from getting any rhythm. They were incredibly disciplined, wouldn't shoot the ball unless three rebounders were in position and the fifth player was poised to fall back on D. Those were forty point games that nobody liked to play or - especially - watch. But an ugly win is a win.

That's a general strategy, but I suppose you're looking for some tactics. Check http://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/offense/offense-junk-defense.html

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2010, 15:54 
Site Admin

Foo4Thought, Go Hawks!

Even though, the going hasn't be going too well as of late. We always got football. Right?