All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 25 Feb 2011, 10:18 

Well coaches I guess the whole state of Mn. are playing basketball the wrong way because from 3rd grade all the way to high school in traveling basketball they all press. They have a rule that when a team is up 15 or more they can't press but then most coaches go to a half court press. I've seen coaches still pressing when they are up 30. You guys need to send your opinion to the MYAS.org I just don't think they think anything is wrong with it. I didn't until I read your posts and I will teach my 3rd and 4th graders the right way to play.

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2011, 10:33 
Site Admin

I hear ya, Preston. It's everywhere in every state. Zones and presses to win more games.

I coach a 7th grade team with 10 players. I actually do press a little bit, but I don't zone or trap press. Mine is full court man to man defense.

I press for a few different players.
1. We have 10 players. I play everybody fairly equal and I want to get everybody in and work them, so I have the kids get up and down.
2. It helps get the kids going offensively. Some times when I start out in half court, the kids intensity level is a little lower. When I have them pick them up full court, they start playing harder.
3. Probably my biggest reason is that I think it develops better athletes. When our defenders are guarding the ball, they are sprinting, changing speeds, shuffling, stopping quickly, changing directions. And I think doing all of these things help develop a better athlete. In the perfect world, I would probably do that during practice - Full Court 1v1, but I only have half a court.

However, I do teach half court fundamental defense every single practice. The only difference during games is that we extend our principles to the full court.

Also, I don't deny the inbounds pass most of the time. I let the opposing team inbound, then I pick them up so they have to play good on-ball defense.

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2011, 10:40 
Site Admin

Sorry, I meant to say that I press for a few different REASONS... not players

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2011, 10:58 

Preston.... what a sad state of affairs.... some of these coaches think they are the next Bobby Knights, Johnny Wooden or Phil Jackson..... they could care less about the kids... pretty sad.

Pressing in high school is fine.... anything below that ( I would bend for 8th graders ) should be playing straight up m2m...... those coaches need to teach the kids how to play, the Ws will take care of themselves.

Why don't you send the MYAS.org an invitation to this site and let them ask questions to the group of coaches who have been around for a little while? Tell them to get a Bob Bigelow DVD on How to Coach Youth Basketball.....

As a Varsity coach we played m2m and a match up zone... and we taught m2m fundamentals EVERY DAY...... IF you cant guard anyone you cant play..... who cares if they go 30-0 and the kids cant play high school ball because they are so far behind fundamentally? Do they want our nomination for the 3rd - 4th grade coaches hall of fame or something?
We saw most kids come in every year at the freshman level that didn't have a clue as to how to play m2m.....
Ok, sorry for my venting but it really is a sore spot with me. Good luck and keep teaching the fundamentals.

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2012, 13:47 

Coaches I just finished my first year of coaching my 3rd and 4th graders and I see what you guys meant. Besides my daughter none of the girls ever played basketball before. You should see them shuffle their feet and play M2m defense! Also it took them until the last two games of the year but they ran all the plays and inbound plays I taught them real well. It feels so good and rewarding to see these girls advance on things I taught them. I love coaching and I'm going to keep these girls all the way until they get to High School. We went 8-2-1. You guys are The Bomb! Thanks for all your advice! And to anyone reading this. These guys know their stuff! Thanks again.

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2012, 13:55 

Thanks for the kudos Preston..... and I'm glad that you saw the light... congrats to you for teaching your kids the right way to play the game at that young age. Even though Ws are not the most important part of the game... at least you did it the right way. Continue to teach these kids how to play, a lot of fundamentals and have fun. :-)