All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 28 Jan 2010, 12:20 

I'm coaching a 6th grade boys recreational league team. Our rules do allow for the teams to press (not that I necessarily agree - but those are the rules). Does anyone have a suggestion for setting up a full court or 3/4 court press? We've tried just going M2M full court pressure with very limited success - as we do not have any exceptionally quick boys who can steal the ball 1 on 1. My thought is to utilize the press occasionally; e.g., if we are behind in the game or late in the game and need to pressure after a score or timeout to have a better chance to get the ball.

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2010, 13:02 

Coach,

1/2 court 1-3-1 trap press works at times. Forcing player with ball to sidelines trapping either just before or just past the half court line. Trapping just before 1/2 court line forces a 10 sec call. Trapping just past 1/2 court line can create back court violation. Either trap does allow opportunities for stealing soft floating passes, resulting in easy layup.

I teach my kids to scream DEAD, DEAD, DEAD!!! as loud as they can when an opposing player picks up his/her dribble and is trapped. This causes panic for player with ball.

Fullcourt zone presses that are effective are 1-2-1-1 and 2-2-1. Have your players fall back to a zone if press is broken by other team.

Throw these presses on and off during game to keep other team guessing. Also use fullcourt M2M press to creat havoc and double teaming just before half time and when you're down by a few hoops late in game.

Important that you also have to understand the matchups of the other team, size, ballhandling and athleticism of your team and other team before you consider any of these presses.

Good Luck,

Coach A

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2010, 13:13 
Site Admin

Here is my response from another forum post: viewtopic.php?f=57&t=327

"Personally, I dislike zones and presses below the high school level. I just think that working on man principles every day and working on fundamentals and offensive concepts will benefit the players much more when they reach the varsity level. Even if the high school coach decides to play zone, the man principles that pounded into them from an early age will make them much better.

I've never seen a 13 & 14 year old team that was so good at shooting, passing, dribbling, rebounding, half-court offense, & man to man defense that they should work on pressing and junk defenses. It may get you a couple of extra wins, but working on the basics now will get you more wins in the future.

However, I understand some coaches are in different situations and these kids may never play high school basketball. And some coaches think that developing a winning attitude is more important. "

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2010, 13:14 
Site Admin

One thing that I forgot to add is that I have coached at almost all levels at the youth level. I have pressed, but it was only when we were losing in the last few minutes of the game. The only press I ever used was a full court denial man to man defense. I probably practiced this for 5 minutes in 2 practices. There are just too many more important things to work on.

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2010, 13:37 

JoeHaefner wrote:
Here is my response from another forum post: viewtopic.php?f=57&t=327

"Personally, I dislike zones and presses below the high school level. I just think that working on man principles every day and working on fundamentals and offensive concepts will benefit the players much more when they reach the varsity level. Even if the high school coach decides to play zone, the man principles that pounded into them from an early age will make them much better.

I've never seen a 13 & 14 year old team that was so good at shooting, passing, dribbling, rebounding, half-court offense, & man to man defense that they should work on pressing and junk defenses. It may get you a couple of extra wins, but working on the basics now will get you more wins in the future.

However, I understand some coaches are in different situations and these kids may never play high school basketball. And some coaches think that developing a winning attitude is more important. "

I couldn't agree more - there are too many fundamentals to teach young players.. ESPECIALLY this age. You never know IF the kid is going to play high school ball or not, so you would be doing him a much better service teaching m2m and all the other important fundamentals..

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2010, 13:40 

Let me add this also -

I had kids come in to our school who didn't make their Jr. High team.. or were B team playes, some who played and others who sat most of the time..... and through persistance and hard work, they became Varsity players, some became All Conference- there ARE diamonds in the rough out there, it is up to us to dig them up and polish them.

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2010, 14:05 

Thanks for the responses. Again, my intent was to use a press sparingly and just in certain situations where we would need to possibly cause a turnover. Our practice focus is on skill development and we are only playing M2M (even though some teams are using a zone).

Addressing the 1-3-1, are there specific assignments, ideas, or concepts that can be taught to the boys to help them understand what we hope to achieve? E.g. do you guard or contest the in-bound pass? is there a certain rotation or movement of defensive players?

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2010, 14:09 

If you look at the Defense on the left side of this page it addresses the 1-3-1 defense... Hope this helps.

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2010, 15:50 

Thanks, I guess I would just try to extend the defensive set to a 3/4 court in order to try to get a trap in the back court.

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2010, 15:58 

That could work...

our best press was a 1-2-2 3/4 court where we just kind of floated in front of them and IF they brought the ball across on the sideline we would trap them right over half court.