All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 27 Dec 2011, 10:36 

In using the cut and fill or open post offense for a youth team (10-12 yr olds), is it better to use the read spot (for the wing player who will fill the point position) or not? It seems like it would be simpler for the wing player to directly fill the point position, with the rule to back cut as soon as the defender crosses the 3 point line. Since so many coaches teach to use the read spot, I wonder what disadvantage there may be in not using it...

Thanks

Paul

PostPosted: 27 Dec 2011, 11:49 
Site Admin

Hi Paul, personally I've used both as a player and a coach. As a player, we always cut to the FT line, then either filled the top or cut backdoor. When I first started coaching, that's what I did as well.

The last few years I transitioned to a straight cut to the 3-point line. As you mentioned, if the defense overplays, we cut backdoor.

I prefer for this for a couple of reasons:

1. Due to the cut being further from the basket, there is more space to pass the ball.

2. It also gives the passer more time to recognize the cut. When we used to cut to the FT line, the cutter might be open but the passer would often recognize the cut a split second too late. When we cut to the 3-point line, it gives the passer a split second longer to pass the ball. As a result, I think we execute the backdoor cut more frequently.

This is very important for younger teams due to inexperience and lack of skill level.

PostPosted: 27 Dec 2011, 12:38 

Joe,

Thanks for your reply. What you wrote makes a lot of sense-- the extra spacing created by avoiding the read spot can benefit both the cutter and passer. I think filling the point spot directly makes the most sense for my youth team.

Thanks again,
Paul

PostPosted: 27 Dec 2011, 17:08 

I like this Joe.... I will have to pass this on to my friends that are running the Open Post Offense I used.....

Here is another addition ... pass from the wing to the read spot or top of the key and then back door yourself... not something that is usually seen with this offense.... at least I wasn't smart enough to see it when I was coaching it.

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2011, 19:25 

Coach Sar--your suggestion is a good one, and this is my understanding of how the cut and fill open post offense works--every time you pass, you cut to the hoop.

Joe--what is the advantage in using the read spot for more experienced teams?

Thanks,
Paul

PostPosted: 29 Dec 2011, 13:03 
Site Admin

My immediate thought is that the "read spot" gives you a better opportunity to receive a pass to the point from the wing and you are still in a position to score and reverse the ball if needed.

If you pop out from the FT line extended (15 ft), you can still catch the ball 18 to 21 feet from the basket where some players are still a threat to score. If cut straight to the 3-point line (20 ft) and pop out, you are probably 23 ft to 26 ft from the basket. Most players are not a threat to score from that position.

But if your goal is to reverse the ball to the opposite side of the floor, it probably doesn't matter too much if you catch the ball 23 ft to 26ft from the basket.

Last year when St. John's beat Duke, St. John's extended the Open Post to 28 feet. I think they did this, so the lanes for penetration would be bigger.

When I have our players cut straight to the point, I like to tell my players on the wing to take "Wait for a second, then 2 steps down" before they cut to the top. I think it helps set up the cut to the point and the defender has to commit even more if they want to take away the pass to the point. And if they over-commit, the backdoor is usually wide open.

I also do this, because if the passer chooses to screen away rather than cut, the offensive player is in a good position to cut off of the screen.

PostPosted: 29 Dec 2011, 13:21 

Joe & Coach P,

We ran the Open Post Offense with all 5 of our players above the free throw line - 3 out by half court and 2 wings at the FT line extended. This forced their BIGS to come out high and believe me, most post players don't like defending out there... it also gives you more room for takes and back door opportunities.

IF we took the ball from a wing, our rule was the other wing had dive to the block... and IF we took it from the top, both wings had to make themselves available. We also ran what we called a "Counter play" .... we would backscreen and step out... the person receiving the back screen would go all the way to the basket looking for a back door lob... it he didn't get it... he came right up the lane to the "L"... we would pass it to him there and the top player would back door as would the opposite wing player. This is great vs teams that over play or switch on D.

We beat a #8 team in the state one year doing this... they had a 6'11 kid that we forced to play D at half court... out there he cant rebound and he didn't defend well at all, we pretty much took him out of his game. Of course going 9 for 10 from the arc and hitting 15 of 19 free throws didn't hurt us. Great shooting makes us look like the worlds best coaches - forget the game plan - IF you cant score you cant win.

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2011, 20:57 

I watched the Huggins video again. During one of the drills the wing player filling the point spot forgot to go to the read spot, and cut directly to the point. At this point the coach stopped the drill and said that if you cut directly to the point spot an aggressive defensive player (that is playing on the basket line) will try to/be likely to make a steal. So, maybe using the read spot was designed to avoid turnovers in that situation. This sort of makes sense to me.

On the other hand, while cutting directly to the point may be easier for the defense to read and try to steal, it also gives the offense more opportunities to back cut when the defense steps over the line. And as Joe mentioned, there's much more room to extend the cut and make the pass.

I think for youth teams, cutting directly to the point is simpler. As a coach, I want the defense to be over aggressive and step over the 3 point line so we can back cut. Moreover, there's significantly more room to make the cut, for the passer to recognize the cutter and make the pass. Everything has to be much more precise when the read spot is used. In my experience, young players don't have that level of precision, in general.

This discussion is very helpful!

Thanks,
Paul

PostPosted: 31 Dec 2011, 10:20 
Site Admin

I start salivating when I see overaggressive defensive players, because I know we're getting backdoor lay ups against them. I think this is on the passer to recognize where the defense is at making the appropriate read. I'm not saying that there won't ever be a turnover, but if you have covered and drilled this during practice, your team should have a hay day on these types of defenses. And Huggins could be right, maybe there are more turnovers if you cut straight to the top. But Huggins also coaches elite teams at the college level.

I also think communication is important between the offensive players. I like to have my players keep their hands down if they plan to do a backdoor cut and lift a hand to give the passer a target if they want to receive a pass.

We had a game this year where we were up by 10 with 3 minutes to go and won by 22, because the defense started playing really aggressive. I told the players to only cut... no screens.

PostPosted: 31 Dec 2011, 19:18 

Happy New Year Joe,

You and I are on the same page regarding back door stuff...... we loved it when they over played us or even switched everything.... NO screens ... read the defense and make good cuts... keep moving and reverse the ball a couple of times and most teams will be toast. Anyone can defend a few passes... how about 2-3 ball reversals? They break down and YOU score.