All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 23 Mar 2015, 14:39 

I found this site last year and just wanted to say thanks to all involved. Really learned a lot. I coached a 3rd/4th grade girls CYC basketball team with 6 of the 9 girls never having played before. Ended up with a 5-15 record but that really didn't matter much to me. What mattered was seeing the improvement in skills in every girls using a lot of drills from this website.
I started them off in a standard 1-3-1 offense but when the girls weren't moving without the ball very well I switched to a 5 out motion offense. That seemed to suit them and we played much, much better. Its still a jumbled mess at times but when it clicks for them, it's pretty neat to watch. I think our biggest accomplishment was that out of the 9 girls, all 9 of them scored at least 1 basket during the season. Watching a lot of youth basketball games this season, I can say not a lot of teams can say that. We had our last game yesterday and played a team that beat us 24-4 the previous meeting at the beginning of the year. We lost 6-4 as they scored the winning bucket with a minute left. It showed me and the other parents how far the girls had come.
Thanks again for all of the information available.

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2015, 17:05 
Site Admin

You're welcome, Coach!

If you stick to fundamentals and teaching kids how to play, I'm sure you'll start to beat some of those teams.

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2015, 17:56 

Frank -

Great feedback. Sounds like you've been doing the right thing and it paid off. I'm betting the parents that signed up for basketball also enjoyed the season. Love it when I hear about teams where every kid scored a basket. I bet it was an awesome feeling to see the improvement by the end of the season.

Congrats on sticking to your game plan.

PostPosted: 24 Mar 2015, 13:45 

We ended up 4-6 in our league and in 3rd place so I was quite happy with that. We very easily could have been 7-3. The other 10 games were from 3 different tournaments throughout the year(the school pays for 3 tournament/year which turned out great for us) and we played a lot of better teams than us. I just wanted to get the girls more games in, especially since the school paid!

PostPosted: 02 May 2016, 14:19 

Just remember to keep the fun in the game. Its not all about winning at this age. Leave that stress to the paid pros!!!