5 Explosive Exercises For Your Vertical Jump
Check out the five explosive exercises for increasing your vertical jump provided by Cody Roberts.
Cody Roberts is a Certified Strenth and Conditioning Coach at the University of Iowa, read more about Cody and his Athletic Development Program.
Whether you are back squatting with the bar, or doing body weight squats, this exercise is an essential part of a vertical jump program. This exercise will build strength in the legs and core, which are key in the landing phases of any plyometric program.
Cues: Start light, and stay rhythmic in the motion. As your form becomes better, start to add speed to the accent (up) phase by attempting to "push your feet into the ground" and "leading with the shoulders" on the way up.
2. Squat Jumps
There are many different ways to perform a jump squat (body weight, weight on the shoulders, weight held low, bar on the back, etc.).
3. Box Jumps
We love these exercises, as they are relatively simple to master, but gives you a great way to train explosive movement.
This exercise is a counter movement jump. Go down fast and up fast, using the arms... the box is there only to break the landing.
4. Medicine Ball Throws
We want to keep some velocity and speed with our jumping movement and be explosive with a little bit of resistance and the medicine ball throw allows us to do that. Focus on loading the hips, heels and exploding.
5. Snap Downs
The snap down is where we learn to manage force. In this excercise the arms are over head and the legs are in a shoulder width stance.
Get a Behind-the-Scenes Look
at Advanced Division I Trainings
You can learn all about vertical jump training approach in our FREE e-book: "DOMINATE: How the Training Secrets of Top Division I Programs Can Transform Your Athleticism Forever".
- The surprising secrets D-I trainers use with their players (that most athletes have never heard of)
- What you need to do BEFORE plyometrics to make sure you see the biggest vertical jump gains
- Training methods that make sure your workouts translate to REAL RESULTS on the court
- How to incorporate the Pyramid of Development into your workout program to enhance your results
- 6 dynamic exercises you can use immediately (with video tutorials)
Enter your email address below and I'll send you a copy of DOMINATE right away...
These are the workouts that most "regular" players donít ever learn about, and they're virtually guaranteed to give you a competitive edge on the court.
No matter where you are as an athlete, this e-book will change the way you think about training from this day forward.
- Athletic Development Program to Improve Speed, Strength and Vertical Jump
- Strength, Conditioning, and Agility Resources for Basketball Players
What do you think? Let us know by leaving your comments, suggestions, and questions. . .