Wing 1 on 1
The purpose of this fun drill is to improve one on one offense and reading the defender to make the appropriate move.
Drill Instructions and Diagrams
- Players line up in 2 lines, one on each elbow, facing baseline.
- Coach is on top on the right side with the ball.
- Coach calls "Go."
- First player in each line sprints to touch a spot on the baseline in the middle of the lane.
- After touching spot, players race to the right wing.
- Coach passes to the 1st player out to the wing. Other player becomes defense.
- Offensive player must make offensive move against live defense.
- Either player can be on offense. The first player out gets the ball, not the player who started ball side.
- Limit the dribble the offense can use. If you have good players, limit to 1 dribble. In no situation should you allow more than 3.
- Play on half the court. If playing the right side, score must come on the right side. Theoretically in a game, there are defenders on the other side of the court
- Reinforce "shot" and the catch, "lay-up" on the dribble.
If you would like to get more out of your players by incorporating fun drills into your practice, check out our 60 Fun Basketball Drills eBook.
What do you think? Let us know by leaving your comments, suggestions, and questions...