Ballhandling Drill: Dropstep Dribble
This drill will improve footwork and ballhandling skills. It can be done alone or with multiple players in practice.
Instructions for Phase 1
- Set up chair, foul line extended, facing the corner.
- Put a ball on the chair.
- Player comes out of the corner, jumpstop at the chair, pick up the ball and place it in shooting position.
- Player then dropsteps to the basket, using the inside foot as the pivot foot, and takes 1 dribble for lay-up.
- Work both left and right side.
- Gradually move the chair back, constantly challenging the player to cover the distance with 1 dribble.
Instructions for Phase 2
- When chair is sufficient distance from the basket (35 -40 feet), place a 2nd chair near the lane.
- Player comes out of the corner, dropsteps, 1 dribble to the 2nd chair, then a quick-change dribble for a lay-up.
- As drill progresses, move the 2nd chair gradually closer to the first chair. Challenge the player to attack the first chair, no matter how close, make a change dribble, and get to the basket in 1 dribble from the second chair. This works on attack mentality, change dribbles, handling in close quarters, etc.
This drill can be done with any pivot.
- Keep your head up.
- Stay low and keep your knees bent when making your change of direction move. (This improves quickness because standing upright will only slow you down when you're ready to explode past the defender.)
- Use your finger tips when dribbling (not your palms).
- Work on lengthening the dribble. Work to get your opportunities with 1 dribble. You don't beat defenses with your dribble. You beat people with your feet; you SEPARATE from your defense with the dribble.
- Practice outside your comfort zone. Experiment; go faster than you are used to, use your imagination. When working on new skills, don't be concerned with losing the ball. Just pick it up and do it again.
Solutions and ResourcesFor Coaches - How To Teach The Attack and Counter Skill Development System Step By Step
For Training - 300+ Drills | 80+ Workouts - Attack and Counter Workout App
Do you have any questions or suggestions for this drill? Let us know by leaving your comments...