Q & A Forum
Experienced coaches are ready to answer your basketball questions! Visit our forum
Essential Youth Skills & Decision Making Camp
Coming to Minot, North Dakota!
June 15 - 17, 2018
Elite Skills Coach Quentin Mitchell!
We're excited to provide this 3 day youth and middle school camp in Minot, North Dakota that focuses on developing the complete player. You will develop shooting, ball handling, passing, footwork, defense, rebounding, athleticism, and other essential skills to become a great a basketball player.
- You will learn the techniques and skill needed to become a great shooter.
- You will learn the essential skills to becoming a great ball handlerů no fluff.
- You will learn how to make more lay ups.
- You will learn how to become a defensive stopper and rebounding machine.
- You will learn the critical components of basketball IQ required to become a great offensive player from an individual and team aspect.
- Basically, we will teach you all of the critical skills and concepts that coaches love and help players excel.
Here are some of the topics covered throughout the camp:
- Stationary ball handling routine that improve rhythm, feel, and coordination with the basketball.
- Dribbles move to help you blow by the defense at will.
- Critical progressions to ensure that your dribble moves are effective and explosive.
- How to position your feet and align your body to increase the chance of shooting the ball straight.
- A form shooting routine that almost every great shooter has utilized that can be done at home.
- Proper footwork and how to develop a quick release.
- How to shoot game shots from game spots at game speeds.
Lay Ups / Finishing
- Finishing techniques used to reduce turnovers and make more shots.
- 1 on 1 finishing drills that ingrain good habits while competing in a fun way.
Defense and Rebounding
- How to improve quickness and play better on-ball defense.
- How to improve speed with hip-turns, push step, and better movement fundamentals.
- 5 fundamental keys to effective close-outs.
- How position away from the ball and be a great team defensive player.
- How to effectively box out your man every time.
- How to cut and get open. You will learn v-cuts, basket cuts, l-cuts, backdoor cuts, and more.
- How to attack down screens, back screens, and more.
- How to use your feet to gain a better position to score from almost anywhere on the floor.
- How to utilize front pivots, reverse pivots, step throughs, sweeps, drop steps, and hops to make you an elite player.
- Improve hand eye-coordination and passing skills with the Steve Nash passing series.
- Competitive passing drills to develop game-like passing with head and pass fakes.
Competitive Play and Controlled Scrimmages
Players will also get to take the skills they practiced and apply them in a game setting. This is fun and intense.
The games are set up, so the players have to give maximum effort and execute proper fundamentals. Players earn points for proper play and are deducted points for poor effort and execution.
Who Can Participate?
This camp is for boys & girls 4th-9th grades, ages/skill levels will be separated.
Who is Quentin Mitchell?
Quentin Mitchell has coached 40 college players, 23 of which have played at the Div 1 level. 6 professional players (one of which was an NBA pick) and has coached over 1,000 kids at various camps and clinics
Quentin was all conference in high school and a McDonald's All-American nominee.
He went on to play at Western Illinois University where he holds the records still today for for most 3 point field goals in a game (9), most consecutive games with a 3 point field goal (6), and highest 3 point field goal percentage in a game going 9/11 for 82%.
Quentin has played all over the world professionally, helping his teams make the playoffs and win championships.
Some of Coach Quentin Mitchell's coaching credentials include:
- Assistant varsity coach at Redford Covenant High School in Detroit, Michigan. Responsibilities included practice planning, organizing game plans, scouting and team development.
- Head JV Coach at Rock Bridge High School in Columbia, Missouri. Team records were as follows: 18-6 (2012-2013), 18-4 (2011-2012), 14-2 (2010-2011), 17-1 (2009-2010)
- Assistant Coach at MOKAN, in Kansas City, Missouri from 2009-2012 and their record was as follows: 36-5 (2012), 50-9 (2011), 56-9 (2010), 57-9 (2009)
- Most recently, along with working with Breakthrough Basketball, he was the head coach for Tilton Elementary School in Chicago where they finished 8-1 and made the Chicago league playoffs for the first time in 4 years!
"This is our second camp we've attended. Coach Q. doesn't miss a beat. My daughter's confidence level has doubled now that she knows in depth what each drill does for her. She loves it." Instructor Quentin Mitchell with Taya Ferguson pictured below....
- Jennifer Metz - Peoria, Illinois - 10 Rating
Friday June 15, 2018 -- 9:00 AM to 3:00 PM
Saturday June 16, 2018 -- 9:00 AM to 3:00 PM
Sunday June 17, 2018 -- 9:00 AM to 3:00 PM
Each session is limited to 60 players to ensure a high number of repetitions and improvement
The camp is SOLD OUT!
Minot Family YMCA
3515 16th St SW
Minot, ND 58701
Travel and Accommodation Options
Camp attendees can get a 10-15% discount by using this link and booking any hotel owned by the Wyndham Hotel Group (Days Inn, Ramada, Baymont, Microtel, Super 8, Howard Johnson, Travelodge, Knights Inn and Wingate). Find a nearby Wyndham hotel and get the Breakthrough Basketball discount.
Players - Sign Up Now to Reserve Your Spot:Fill out this form to sign up and reserve your spot:
Coaches can attend for free by working the camp. Email us if you're interested in helping with the camp.
Otherwise there is a $97 fee to attend as an "observing coach". You will get to learn new drills and techniques from Quentin Mitchell, just like all the players and other coaches in attendance. Visit this link to reserve your spot as an observing coach.
If you have any questions, don't hesitate to email us or request a phone call.
Breakthrough Basketball, LLC.