Q & A Forum
Experienced coaches are ready to answer your basketball questions! Visit our forum
Elite Youth Scoring & Playmaking Camp
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
July 10 - 12, 2018
Elite Skills Coach Charlie Miller!
We're excited to announce our 3 day Elite Youth Scoring & Playmaking Camp coming to Cedar Rapids, Iowa! This is a youth and middle school camp, that is NOT for beginners (who never played recreation basketball). We will build on the basic skills you have already obtained.
We will further develop shooting, ball handling, passing, footwork, 1 on 1 moves, how to play in game situations and athleticism to take your game to the next level. You will learn game like shooting drills, including off the dribble moves to get 2-3 feet of separation from a defender to get an uncontested shot, which will help you become a great shooter.
You will be challenged with advanced hand-eye coordination and ball handling drills that will accelerate your feel for the basketball. These drills will make dribbling during game situations feel easy.
You will learn how to develop an explosive first step. This is probably one of the most important aspects of being a playmaker, but it is rarely broken down and taught properly. Learn about the proper shin angle, head position, shoulder position, and hip position.
Advanced finishing moves will be taught, such as finishing with the inside hand, wrong/goofy foot, taking away defenders angle by using the rim and making a defender go through you to get a traditional 3 point play.
You will learn the critical components of basketball IQ required to become a great offensive player from an individual and team aspect.
You will understand how the top pros create advantages which allow them to make plays for themselves and their teammates.
Here are some of the topics covered throughout the camp:
- Stationary ball handling routine that improve rhythm, feel, and coordination with the basketball.
- Live ball moves to help you blow by the defense at will. You will learn how to shift (or setup) the defender with your body and feet.
- Critical progressions to ensure that your dribble moves are effective and explosive.
- How to stay in attack mode, controlling the tempo and on ball defender.
- How to position your feet and align your body to increase the chance of shooting the ball straight.
- A form shooting routine that almost every great shooter has utilized that can be done at home.
- Proper footwork and how to develop a quick release.
- How to shoot game shots from game spots at game speeds.
- How to create 2-3 feet of separation from a defender for an uncontested jump shot. You will not have to settle for contested fade away / off balance jumpers.
Lay Ups / Finishing
- Finishing techniques used to reduce turnovers, finish over larger players in the paint and make more shots.
- Learn how to finish through contact
- 1 on 1 finishing drills that ingrain good habits while competing in a fun way.
- How to cut and get open. You will learn v-cuts, basket cuts, l-cuts, backdoor cuts, and more.
- Attacking away, down screens, back screens, and more.
- How to score and make plays for teammates in ball screen play. You will learn how to make sure the primary defender is ran into the screen and the correct reads to make on each play.
- How to use dribble hand off actions to attack the defense and put them in a disadvantage.
- Use your feet to gain a better position to score from almost anywhere on the floor.
- Utilize front pivots, reverse pivots, step throughs, sweeps, drop steps, and hops to make you an elite player.
- Improve hand eye-coordination and passing skills that make CP3 one of the best facilitators in the game.
- Competitive passing drills to develop game-like passing with head and pass fakes.
- Learn how to be strong and pass out of double teams and traps.
Competitive Play and Controlled Scrimmages
Players will also get to take the skills they practiced and apply them in a game setting. This is fun and intense.
The games are set up, so the players have to give maximum effort and execute proper fundamentals. Players earn points for proper play and are deducted points for poor effort and execution.
Who Can Participate?
This camp is for both boys & girls 4th-9th grades, ages/skill levels will be separated.
Who is Charlie Miller?
Tuesday July 10, 2018 -- 9:00 AM to 3:00 PM
Wednesday July 11, 2018 -- 9:00 AM to 3:00 PM
Thursday July 12, 2018 -- 9:00 AM to 3:00 PM
Each session is limited to 70 players to ensure a high number of repetitions and improvement
Northwestern Mutual Iowa Sports Center
3055 Robins Rd.
Hiawatha, IA 52233
Travel and Accommodation Options
Camp attendees can get a 10-15% discount by using this link and booking any hotel owned by the Wyndham Hotel Group (Days Inn, Ramada, Baymont, Microtel, Super 8, Howard Johnson, Travelodge, Knights Inn and Wingate). Find a nearby Wyndham hotel and get the Breakthrough Basketball discount.
$245 $196 (Sign up before April 15th and receive 20% off!)
Players - Sign Up Now to Pre-Register:Sign up now to pre-register which will get you on a priority list to submit final registration to guarantee your spot. Final registration and payment will be accepted on 1/10/2018
Coaches can attend for free by working the camp. Email us if you're interested in helping with the camp.
Otherwise there is a $97 fee to attend as an "observing coach". You will get to learn new drills and techniques from Charlie Miller, just like all the players and other coaches in attendance. Visit this link to reserve your spot as an observing coach.
If you have any questions, don't hesitate to email us or request a phone call.
Breakthrough Basketball, LLC.