Q & A Forum
Experienced coaches are ready to answer your basketball questions! Visit our forum
New 3-Day Shooting & Ball handling Camp in
Atlanta, Georgia - April 28-30, 2017
Elite Skills Coach Dexter Lyons!
With this 3 day camp in Atlanta, Georgia...
We will work on the foundation of shooting, developing a quick release, and shooting off the catch.
We will work on ball handling drills to beat your defender off the dribble, and finishing moves to become crafty around the rim.
In additional to all of this, we will focus on confidence, mental toughness, hard work, smart work, and other intangibles to develop great shooters & ball handlers. .
Here are a few things that you will learn at the camp:
Foundation of Shooting
This is the first step in becoming a great shooter. Some players will progress through this stage quickly, while others will need to spend a bit more time to correct some bad habits. You will also learn:
How your stance could actually be causing your shot to go left and right and how to fix it.
Why the parallel stance may not be the right fit for you.
How your legs and not just your follow through can actually cause a flat shot.
The proper release point and follow through.
How inflexibility in your legs can affect your shot in a negative way.
Learn the Steve Nash adjustment that allows players to shoot accurately from further distances.
Shooting Off of the Catch
After we have built a great shooting foundation, we will progress to shooting off of the catch. You will learn:
How to make your shot quicker.
The mentality to making your shot quicker.
The proper body position for every shot off of the catch.
The proper footwork for different situations during the game.
The proper hand position to create consistency and accuracy.
How to pull up out of the fast break.
Learn Advanced Shooting Techniques Used by the Pros
You will learn the keys to a quick release used by the pros such as Kevin Durant and Stephen Curry. You will learn the Michael Jordan 1-2 step used to create space and hit the open jumper.
You will learn the details required to be successful with these advanced moves. If you're not ready for the advanced moves yet, we have a system set up that will progress players at the proper rates.
An elite player needs to be crafty around the rim especially against bigger defenders. Learn how to attack their weakness and put them in foul trouble and get to the foul line
You will be taught a move that will take away the defenderís momentum in transition to create space to finish at the rim
Develop body control while attacking the basket, stopping on a dime and finishing through contact
Improve Your Ball handling
During the camp you'll receive both instruction and intense training to develop exceptional ball handling skills and dribbling moves.
Proper progressions for the dribble moves.
We will break down how to effectively progress through dribble moves. Learn these vital progressions that most trainers skip that result in poorly executed dribble moves.
6 things you need to know to be a great ball handler.
You can be an extremely effective ball handler by knowing and practicing six things. Most players and coaches make things too complicated. But dribbling effectively is simple. You don't need lots of moves. You just need EFFECTIVE moves.
How to be more effective with your dribble.
In today's game, so many players misuse the dribble. They use it and lose their advantage against the defense. We will teach them how to effectively use the dribble and cover more space with fewer dribbles at faster pace.
Develop an explosive first step to create space and transitioning into your shot
Players usually don't work on this, but this is one of the most deadly weapons in the game of basketball. Due to our background in athletic development, we will incorporate speed drills that will make them faster and quicker with and without the ball.
Learn how to properly pick up the basketball and how doing it the wrong way could be causing your shot to miss to the left and the right.
Learn how the pace of the dribble can make your shot quicker.
Learn how to properly execute the sweep and step through to create space from your defender.
Learn the mentality needed to have a successful pull up jump shot and how the wrong mentality can be easily defended.
Who Can Participate?
This camp is for boys & girls 5th-12th grades, ages/skill levels will be separated.
Who is Dexter Lyons?Here are some of Coach Dexter Lyons Achievements & Experience:
- 2000-2002 Played at Daytona Beach Community College
- 2002-2004: Played D1 at the University of Central Florida
- 2001-02: Conference Defensive Player of the Year
- 2003-04: NBA Summer League (Orlando Magic)
- Conference Defensive Player of the Year (A-Sun), First Team All-Conference (A- Sun), NCAA Tournament Participant
- 2004-05 NBA Summer League (Boston Celtics), First Team All-League, First Team All-Imports, Team MVP
- 2006-07: 3rd Round 33rd Overall Pick in 2006
- NBA Development League Draft (Idaho Stampede)
- 2007-08: League Champion, League Cup Finalist 2009-10: Spain LEB Silver League Champion
- 2011-12: Player of Week (Miyazaki)
- 2012-13: 2 time MVP of the Week (Takamatsu)
- 2003-2006 was a Camp Coach/Counselor at the Kirk Speraw Camp at USF
- Held leading role as camp advisor for summer basketball program by providing direct supervision and fundamental basketball instruction to children ages 9 to 13
- Assisted the Head Coach in scheduling events, and contribute to the development of plans for the basketball camp and game responsibilities
- Served as Camp Coach and positive role model for children attending basketball camp by displaying enthusiasm, sense of humor and patience
- Assisted daily with coaching teams, officiating games, and scorekeeping while distributing game play time equally amongst all campers
- Responsible for coordinating the overall practice
- Coach Dexter has been working Breakthrough Basketball camps for the last two years, mostly working around the Southeast part of the country and based in Atlanta, Georgia
Friday, April 28, 2017 -- 6:00 PM to 9:00 PM
Saturday April 29, 2017 -- 9:00 AM to 1:00 PM
Sunday April 30, 2017 -- 2:30 PM to 5:30 PM
Each session is limited to 40 players to ensure a high number of repetitions and improvement
The camp is COMPLETE!
Decatur Recreation Center
231 Sycamore Street
Decatur, GA 30030
Travel and Accommodation Options
Camp attendees can get a 10-15% discount by using this link and booking any hotel owned by the Wyndham Hotel Group (Days Inn, Ramada, Baymont, Microtel, Super 8, Howard Johnson, Travelodge, Knights Inn and Wingate). Find a nearby Wyndham hotel and get the Breakthrough Basketball discount.