Q & A Forum
Experienced coaches are ready to answer your basketball questions! Visit our forum
Video and Tips: How to Move without the Ball and Get Open Shots
To get open, you'll want to use a variety of cuts and screens. You can learn about the dozens of different screens and cuts, by reviewing these offensive diagrams.
Once you have a basic understanding of different cuts and screens, you should learn some basic guidelines and tips that apply to all screens and cuts.
Here are some universal tips to help you move without the ball and score more points:
- Set your man up before using the screen. In other words, before rubbing off a screen, take a step away from the screen and fake like you're going the other direction. Then you can rub off the screen. This will get your defender off balance and give you more space.
- Run off screens shoulder to shoulder. There should be no space between you and the person setting the screen. This makes it difficult for the defense to "slip" through and take away your shot.
- Read the defense! One of the best skills you can learn as a player is how to read the defense. If your defender cheats over the screen, then you can flare the other direction so the defender gets stuck behind the screen. If the defender denies you the ball and overplays the passing lane, then back door them cutting hard to the basket. These are just a few examples. Learn the different ways you can read the defense. This will make you a better player!
- When cutting, vary your speed. In other words, you might want to take a few steps one direction at half speed, then quickly change direction sprinting off a screen. This keeps the defense guessing and off balance.
- Know where your teammates are at. This comes with experience and game awareness. The better you know your teammates and your offense, the easier it will be for you to find them and use their screens.
- Never stand still for more than two seconds. If you're a great shooter, keep moving. Don't stand in one spot for more than two seconds.
Recommended DVD's & eBook:
|The Attack & Counter Skill Development System|
This eBook & DVD's will improve your shooting, ballhandling, footwork, perimeter moves, post moves, finishing, aggressiveness, quickness, confidence, mentality, and your all-around game! Designed by NBA skills coach Don Kelbick, this unique and comprehensive system is incredibly simple when compared to other skill development programs. Yet it works with NBA and pro players at the highest level... (more info)
What do you think? Let us know by leaving your comments, suggestions, and questions...