All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 06 Jan 2016, 12:08 

Hi Coach Penny,

Sometimes when catching a pass thrown above shoulders level or below the level of the knees, the cushion in to tuck does not feel fluid and my hands do not get set in an adequate position to shoot.

Maybe it is just a matter of more practice before i´m able to make those shots with consistency and effortless.

Also i have heard that if we have to catch a bad pass and the time and space is still there to shoot, it would be better to dribble once before shooting to regain balance and the right coordination

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2016, 17:02 

edge_coe,

Great question!

Generally speaking, the Tuck is used when stepping into the shot off the dribble or from a pass. The One Motion Shooting Video shows examples of ideal situations in both cases, but basketball is fast paced and each shot opportunity is different depending on many factors.

Passes that are above the head and below the knees are more difficult than those around chest level. I'll discuss each:

1. Pass above the head - Anytime you meet the pass with a 1-2 step there is always a trail leg. The goal is to catch the pass and quickly/smoothly get to Tuck before stepping to SET. In doing so, you must simultaneously move the ball to Tuck as you shift most of your weight to the front foot...you are now at Tuck and ready to step to SET or into the shot. This is not something that is rushed as there is a rhythm to this process, at least not when first learning. Once at SET, then you explode into the shot as the Trigger Foot hits the floor. You can practice placing the ball above your head with one foot ahead of the other, then moving to Tuck as you shift your weight to your front foot, and finally freezing to check your position (Tuck). Do this over and over until you develop the proper rhythm. Place the ball at various points above the head and repeat the drill.

If you are standing stationary with both feet planted as the pass arrives, then there is no need to utilize the Tuck because there is no step into the shot. In this situation, merely take the ball down to SET and then shoot. Sometimes, your trail leg will barely be back as you catch the pass so the Tuck isn't as pronounced because of the shorter step to SET. When this happens, the upper arm isn't as far back as it would be for a normal Tuck...this is highly visual, but hopefully it makes sense.

2. Pass below knee level - Same philosophy applies here as with passes above the head. The difference is the ball is brought up (vs. down) to the Tuck position. Anytime there is a trail leg, the goal is to arrive at Tuck before stepping to SET. Drills for this would be the same as above.

As far as your comment about dribbling after receiving a bad pass to regain balance, I think that works and it's an individual preference when doing so. If I see a bad pass coming, I teach quickly stepping in the direction the pass in order to be balanced upon catching the ball. From there the process would be get to Tuck, step to SET, and then shoot...all in one fluid motion.

In regards to you not feeling fluid when cushioning the ball to Tuck, I'd suggest slowing down and learning a nice comfortable rhythm. Don't try and hurry that process until your muscles have it down. Remember, it's Tuck then step to SET. Each time you have a trail leg, use the Tuck as the transition to SET. No trail leg means take the ball directly to SET.

Hope this helps! Let me know if anything needs clarification.

Rick Penny
Shooting Coach
http://www.onemotionbasketball.com

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2016, 11:52 

Thanks Coach, i think One Motion Technique has helped me a lot with free shots and it´s just a matter of more practice and patience for a noticeable improvement with shots on the move.

Coach, don´t you think JJ Barea shoots the way you teach?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAC_hfh7xSE

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2016, 13:04 

edge_coe,

JJ Barea's shooting form is very close to what I teach. He starts the ball near chest level (SET) which I like, but then loops the ball up & back to his forehead and pauses slightly before it changes direction towards the basket. From SET, I teach that the ball should go straight up and then curve toward the basket without stopping or pausing at any point.

JJ's release could be quicker with better timing between his legs and arm/ball. What I mean by this is right now his knee action is a bit slow (down & up). This slower knee action gives the ball time to loop up & back to his forehead. At that point, he explodes up into the shot (jumps). Quicker knee action would cause the ball to go straight up instead of looping back resulting in a quicker/smoother release.

To make it clear, I'm not saying JJ Barea is doing anything wrong. When I work with students that shoot like him, I try and smooth out the delay by speeding up the knee action (down & up). Makes for a shot that feels better.

Regarding your improvement with shots on the move, remember to take your time getting to SET as that is the ultimate goal. There is rhythm to learn getting there and it takes practice using the Tuck. Once you've got it down, the quickness of your release off the dribble or pass will amaze you plus it will feel very smooth!

Rick Penny
Shooting Coach
http://www.onemotionbasketball.com

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2016, 10:56 

Thank You!