All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 18 Nov 2011, 16:58 

As a freshman starter on my high school's girls varsity team, what can I expect from opposing teams? My parents said I can expect that teams will attack me because I'm a freshman and that they will try to get physical with me. I'm skinny but athletic. I know I will get better, but I just want to be prepared.

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2011, 11:26 

You are making a big jump... from 8th grade ball to the Varsity... every level you play up, the kids get quicker/faster, stronger and more aggressive.... not to mention abilities and experience.

I would imagine that they will try to exploit you in every way possible.... test you so to speak to see if you have any weaknesses... I know I would.

What position do you play?

Good luck, I hope things work out well for you.

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2011, 01:25 

Yes, it is a big jump. I play point guard for a team the won the Division VI championship for the Sac-Joaquin Section in California last year.

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2011, 07:38 

Well, you don't have to be the biggest person on the floor to play the point guard position.. I had a lot of small point guards that did very well ..... as I think back, they all had one quality ( aside from ball handling skills and running the team + pretty good shooters )

They kind of had a chip on their shoulders .... played hard nosed basketball... they weren't about to let anyone push them around.
Go out and play your game and don't let anyone try to intimidate you.... stick to the things you do well and try to stay away from your weaknesses until you make them better.

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2011, 10:02 

Coach Sar, thank you very much for your advice.