All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 11 Oct 2010, 01:48 

what is the impact of athlete in the work setting?

PostPosted: 11 Oct 2010, 07:29 

I'm not sure what you are looking for here.

I think that athletes know what it's like to work towards a common goal - most of them are goal oriented (at least the successful ones) They learn how to get along with a lot of different types of people - they learn how to be leaders and solve problems. They learn how to reach out to less fortunate people ( at least in our program they did ) I tried to have our players connect with the younger kids in the program. Then, when they get out into the working world they have some of the skills necessary to succeed.
I had them try to be ambassadors to the young kids in the area by having them work our camps and work with them in small groups. That did a couple of things... they learned what it was like to coach/teach young people, IF they could teach it then for the most part they could do it themselves.
I think they become good leaders.

Is this what you are looking for? If not, please be more specific.

I don't want to turn this into my own forum but there are a lot of people that would rather whine about something than figure out a way to solve the problem. JMO

PostPosted: 11 Oct 2010, 15:34 

I don't understand what this means either

PostPosted: 11 Oct 2010, 15:46 

I gave it my best shot Don.

Airwolf, reminds me of that old \TV show... dated myself again eh!

PostPosted: 11 Oct 2010, 17:27 

I think it is a language barrier. Anything that starts with the work "work" confuses me.

I hope you are well

PostPosted: 11 Oct 2010, 19:17 

Dear Sir,

I would like to thank both of you for providing me your opinion.

Let me first define "sports" the way I understand it. Sports is activity, which is governed by set of rules, implemented by any individual or group to achieve a certain GOAL.

On the other hand, athlete, who is interested in any sports. is an individual who performs any sport governed by set of rules.

What happened if athlete turned employee? How can sports help them survive in life? How can they help their chosen institution?

PostPosted: 11 Oct 2010, 20:03 

airwolf_0812 wrote:
What happened if athlete turned employee? How can sports help them survive in life? How can they help their chosen institution?

Now this is just my opinion of course...... but sports can help people survive in life and in the work place because they learned how to play by the rules.... by setting goals and working towards achieving them. They learned how to be a team player which is very important in their careers - working with others - and how to get along with other people and hopefully be a leader.

Funny Don - I never liked that word either .. WORK....... actually once I started teaching and coaching I never worked.... it was fun and I enjoyed helping kids.

PostPosted: 11 Oct 2010, 20:40 

I understand you definitions of sport and athlete. That is easy. It's your definition of institution that is hazy.

I can be very altruistic and agree with all the things that Ken has stated. I believe that there was a time that I did agree that sport did all those things he mentioned.

But, I have become very cynical. I work with very high level players, NBA and other pros from all over the world. I have learned that sport teaches them to win. That's all, no other value but win, and it makes no difference how it is done. They should think that way because they are professionals and their livelihood depends on it.

While they NBA is in season, I work with kids. What is disheartening is the values that Ken has discussed, playing by the rules, goal setting, leadership, cooperation, etc. is being replaced by win at any cost. While it is very discouraging to hear what parents and fans say to their kids and other players, it is even more discouraging to hear what the kids say to each other. What that says to me is that the trickle down eventually will prevent any of those things from being learned in the future. Encouragement and positive messages have been replaced by mean spirit and "Just Win Baby."

In answer to your question, theoretically, yes it can, sport can help. Practically, only in rare cases. I fear that those cases will become rarer and rarer. Then the answer will be "No, sport cannot help." I am also reacting to American culture. I have traveled throughout the world on behalf of basketball and I have to say that there are still places where sport does still expose positive values (basketball, not soccer/football).

I don't mean to preach but but the only ones that can stop the erosion of those values are the people who work with kids. If not me, who then?

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2010, 02:54 

Dear Sir,

I'm Jan Vincent P. Abella. I'm a psychology graduate of Central Luzon State University (CLSU). I'm a human resources assistant of one of the rural banks from Philippines. I live in 91 UNDP st. CLSU Science City of Muñoz, Nueva Ecija.

May I request a copy of any of your published books related to the topics I have posted in the forum for my future research.

I have conducted a thesis entitled "Transfer of Values in College Sports to the Workplace." I could provide you a copy of mine if you request it. You are free to make comments or suggestions.

Thank you in advance for providing me your time.

God bless.

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2010, 06:54 

Don,

You make some great points.... and you are right on too!

Getting back to what the "game" is supposed to be about for KIDS needs to start with the PARENTS..... THEY are the ones with this WIN mentality at early ages.

Why is it that anyone that wants to teach or coach at the high school level has to be a certified teacher but ANYONE can coach young kids, WITHOUT any training?
It needs to start there... get rid of the WIN attitude and start teaching all the things I talked about.

I understand the WIN mentality at the PRO level, its a business - but when you talk about 1st graders thru lets say 6th grade, it should be about having fun and learning the things I stated. 7th & 8th graders the pressure to win starts but WHY cant they keep learning those things I stated.... that goes for 9th & 10th graders too.... but the further up the food chain you get the pressure to win becomes stronger.....

In our area there is NO trash talking allowed unless you want a T - and its as much about sportsmanship as it is winning. Play the game hard and by the rules. IF could have seen a few of my camps where the Varsity kids were working with the younger kids you would have smiled.

One of my favorite things to do was to play a game to 6, where everybody had to score ONCE before anyone could hit the winner. I mixed the age levels and abilities... you would have loved the way they worked hard to get the lesser kid a good shot. It taught my players leadership skills and when I let them play a game without the varsity player, one of the younger kids had to step up and be a leader.