All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 11 Dec 2009, 03:15 

What does it take . How many hours should you be putting into your game daily and what are other stuff you need to do to become a successfull ball player? . What does it take to dominate the competition ?

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2009, 08:49 

You have to be dedicated and put in the time...plain and simple.
Try to play every day and shooting 300 to 400 shots a day is not unrealistic. Offseason ball is so important. As the saying goes, "Winter is the time to play basketball, summer is the time to get better in basketball". Spring and summer leagues, AAU, camps and clinics are so important in basketball development. If you really want to be the best that you can be then play hoop year round...not just fall and winter.
I always tell my players that everybody has a basketball odometer...just like in a car. It measures hours of basketball exposure instead of miles. The reason some players are better than others is not so much that they are faster, stronger, older or taller....it's usually because of the hoop time that is on their basketball odometer. Shooting in your driveway, pick up games at the park, school teams, games, practices, clinics, AAU even watching games all add hours to your odometer...increasing your experience and knowledge of the game. Middle school kids may have 100's of hours on their odometer, college and pros...1,000's.
You have to put in the time, you have to put in the hard work.

Remember one thing......when you're done practicing by yourself....you feel like you're tired....you think you had a good workout....just think about this....while you are going back inside your house and resting....there is somebody out there your age....still practicing.......and one day....you may play against that kid...and ...given equal abilities.....he will beat you!! So get back out there and practice even more!!

Family, faith and school come first though....ALWAYS!!!

Coach A

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2009, 20:48 

thanks coach, any other advice/tips you would like to share?

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2009, 08:31 

other things you should do is weights and conditioning. Sounds like you are at the high school level so I would definitely find time to lift weights under the supervision of a coach or trainer.

I would also jump robe everyday to improve your quickness and vertical explosiveness. Run, run and run, both wind sprints and long distance (3 miles). I would also use a weighted ball (3-4 pounder) to use for 3 man weave drill or just stationary passing drills. DO NOT ever shoot with a weighted ball.

I would also look into Plyometric Training. This type of training focuses entirely on explosive quickness....which is esstential in hoop.

Check out the below link on Plyometrics:

http://www.netfit.co.uk/plyometrics-web.htm
http://www.basketball-plays-and-tips.com/plyometrics.html
http://www.sport-fitness-advisor.com/plyometrics.html

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2009, 23:03 

wow thanks alot coach , this was exactly what i was looking for(specific information on what i should be doing and how often) . Yes i am in high school and just finished yr 11. I live in Australia