All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 25 Feb 2015, 10:22 

Hello! I am currently a student at South Pasadena High School in California and a coach for my local YMCA. I am writing a research paper on coaching 13-14 year old and I would like to request information in order to progress my research even more. My main research question is, "What is the most effective way to connect with basketball players ages 13-14 in order to create a successful team?"

Through coaching for the YMCA, I have found that there are two forms of reinforcement that coaches can use. The two types of reinforcements that coaches can apply to their players are, positive and negative reinforcements. From your experiences gathered as a coach, which reinforcement yields the most benefits to the team overall? Also, what benefits are yielded from the reinforcement? This information will enhance the way I coach my players during practices. However, creating a successful team and having fun is what I, as a coach, aspire to do. I have noticed that there are many components to a successful team, such as teamwork, player personnel, personalities of the players, etc. From a coaching standpoint, which component appears the most in successful teams?

I am thankful for your time spent in answering my questions. I am positive that your vast knowledge and experience coaching basketball will answer my questions thoroughly. I am looking forward to your response.

Respectfully,
Alex

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2015, 20:02 

Nice project kid.

I've been coaching for 10 years, and I would say that positive reinforcement is an absolute necessity with players now.

I used to be very negative as a coach, constantly finding the smallest things to harp on.

Now I tend to look for more positives. No kid likes to hear how he sucks for the entirety of a practice. A large part of my change in coaching style has focused around making positive corrections.

For example, I no longer use the word "but" when correcting a player technique. I try to sandwich the correction with praise. There is a difference in how the correction can be perceived by the use of the simplest words.

You start with a compliment: I really like the way you are sprinting to close out.
Then make the correction: But, I'd like you to use chop steps when you get closer to the shooter.

The use of the word but can turn a player off. They start thinking "Oh boy, I messed up again."
Instead of using "but" which is a negative term, I use the word now instead.

"I really like the way you are sprinting to close out"
"NOW, I want you to use chop steps when you get closer to the shooter.
Close with another compliment: "Keep up the hustle, your playing great."

You've made the correction, left the player feeling positive about themselves, and have not done anything to erode their self confidence.

I try my best to be about 80 to 90% positive in my interactions with players. What I have found is that if you create a positive atmosphere, the players become more self-directed, more other driven, and work harder. They will give you that something extra when you need it in a very important game, or in a really tough situation.

Yelling and negative is about coaching through fear. That has its uses. But when they need to be self-directed, they won't do what they need to because the coach isn't around. They won't give everything they have if they feel that the coach is about themself. Yelling, embarrassing players in front of team mates, parents, or fans, is largely a demonstrative exercise from the coach promoting the fact that the coach is important.

It is not to say that negativity is not occasionally needed. Certain things will definitely get a negative response from me: Being a bad team mate, pouting after a mistake, having a bad attitude, not being academic away from the basketball court.

These things will get a negative reaction from me.

Notice how there aren't that many.

If I'm largely positive, and I blow up about something, the players take notice. Why? Because I don't do it often. They get the message that it's important to me.

When I was constantly yelling, constantly riding, really had the volume level constantly on high, how do you think the players could differentiate the important from the VERY important? They couldn't.

These are just some thoughts I have on being positive versus being negative. I've found being positive, excited, and encouraging gets more of the correct behaviors I look for from my players than being a curmudgeon.

Just my two cents.

Brian Sass

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2015, 20:41 

Alex -

Excellent topic for a paper! Kudos to you for coaching at your local Y, the world needs more good coaches. You can probably tell from my opening that I'm more in the positive camp like Brian. We're talking 13/14 YMCA ball here, so I'm going with that as the backdrop, although, I use these techniques at the highly competitive levels also.

twinaq1 wrote:
My main research question is, "What is the most effective way to connect with basketball players ages 13-14 in order to create a successful team?"
Be real and treat them with respect. Kids can pick up on someone who is faking it pretty quickly. Having a well thought out coaching philosophy and communicating that clearly to your players helps a ton. Nothing fancy, something simple with a few key points (e.g., expect 100% at all times, treat each other, the officials, and their opponents with respect, etc.,). Like Brian mentioned, they need to know what is non negotiable (e.g., bad attitude, unsportsmanlike conduct, not hustling).

I've found that being myself as a coach goes a long way. Early on, I would watch other coaches and try to emulate their style of coaching, but the kids could tell I wasn't being myself. Be honest with them, don't patronize. Be consistent with your philosophy and non negotiables. Get excited when a player does something you like. Make a big deal out of it.

twinaq1 wrote:
I have noticed that there are many components to a successful team, such as teamwork, player personnel, personalities of the players, etc. From a coaching standpoint, which component appears the most in successful teams?
Brian already mentioned this, but it bears repeating; being positive will absolutely result in a more successful team. This doesn't mean you're throwing around fluffy compliments all the time, it means you're catching them doing something right and making a big deal out of it. It also doesn't mean constructive criticism is out because your players know that's coming anyway since you explained it clearly in your coaching philosophy. Right? ;) I compare it to the dentist, put a little novocaine in before you drill.

If you want a successful team, especially with a 13/14 YMCA group, make it fun. You want them sitting around the dinner table talking about how they enjoyed the game or practice. You want them looking forward to coming to practices and games. Teaching the fundamentals, having clear expectations, being honest, and keeping things fun. Creative game-like drills, ending practice on a positive note, creative team name/cheer, wearing crazy socks as part of your team and on and on.

My son, now age 16, has played more games of basketball in his lifetime than most normal kids would ever dream of playing. You know what he remembers the most out of all those games? When I handed out snickers bars for the kids who took charges in our 5th -7th grade games. He remembers our goofy team names and breakdown chants. It wasn't the buzzer beater or how many points he scored in a game.

Make them remember their season at the Y with Coach Alex. Someday, when they're really old (like 40), they'll be telling their kids about that time they played for Alex.

EDIT: 2-27-15 - Along with letting your players know what you expect from them, let them know what they can expect from you. You'll be honest with them, treat them with respect, etc.