All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 05 Nov 2014, 10:56 

Hi..

I fractured the index finger of my dominant hand while intercepting a pass, so I will not be able use my dominant hand for a month..
In the meanwhile, do you suggest that I train my off-hand for shooting? Or should I just work on off-hand drives and layups?

Regards
-- Ali

PostPosted: 05 Nov 2014, 11:29 

This gives you a perfect time to work on yuur OFF hsnd.... all parts of the game... shooting, dribbling, passing etc. Obviously you cant play a game or catch the ball with that hand, but you certainly can practice all those other things with your off hand.

MANY years ago when I was coachig 7/8th graders I had broken 2 fingers on my right hand coaching football. When the basketball season started I had to demosnstrate with my left hand.... ouch, wasn't pretty but I did get better doing some things with my left hand. I was mesing around before one game doing some shooting with my off hand.... one of the mothers made a comment to her son..... "Ken is a pretty good shooter." Then he told her that I was right handed, guess I got lucky that day LOL....

Bottom line, this will give you a chance to become a better all around player with both hands. Good luck and I'm sorry that you broke your finger.

PostPosted: 05 Nov 2014, 13:26 

Agree. Great time to work on your weak hand. And? When your dominant hand heals up? Don't forget this and continue to work on your weak hand. You'll be a much stronger player down the road.

Hope it heals quickly.

PostPosted: 06 Nov 2014, 09:03 

Thanks for the great advice...
I did shoot with the weak hand today and made a few shots and a bunch of...well.. airballs.
But I guess I am on the road to ambidexterity..
BTW Coach Sar, did the fracture have any lasting effects on your game?? ( Because I'm kinda worried about the fracture affecting my game in the long run )

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2014, 13:29 

I was never a great player but I could shoot it..... and once they took the splint off I never gave it a second thought.

Just go back to the fundamentals... short shots first and work your way back..... do the thngs that you were sucessful at.