All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 17 Aug 2014, 02:50 

I've played Center forever now. I'm perfectly used to grabbing boards, shooting hooks, and blocking shots as a Center.

After being moved to the Power Forward position as a larger player came in, I've had problems transitioning. First of, I've had problems grabbing the boards because of my position in the court being too far off one side which is something far from what I'm used to. As for the shots, when I played Center I usually was in the post or block waiting for a post opportunity to finish with a hook or a lay-up. Now, I'm not able to post-up often since I'm either in the corner or around the elbow making me shoot jumpshots which I am not proficient in shooting. For the blocking, as said I'm used to stopping drives in the lane or shots around the post. In terms of post-up defense, I was used to getting the second chance block instead of going for the first.

The real problem in my play is me losing the ability to grab the boards as much since I'm out of my "spot" and also losing the ability to score as often because I'm not as good in shooting j's. Also, I don't know if its okay for a 5'9 guy like me to jump on a shot that is just a bit farther than the block otherwise it would bounce off the front rim or the left/right rim.

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2014, 14:55 
Site Admin

How old are you? Sounds to me like you need to work on your all around skills (ball handling, shooting, footwork, etc) so you can be a more versatile player that can play any position. At 5-9 you're going to have to grow a lot if you want to play center or power forward at most high schools. And if you have aspirations to play high school varsity you'll want to get experience on the perimeter and all positions. You never know how big or small you'll be compared to the other players when you get older. So it's good for you to learn skills outside and inside.

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2014, 15:43 

Well I'm 14. The people in my country especially in such age aren't a lot taller so I always play at least a 3 but if it were in the professional league I'd play a 1 guard. The local point guards here who play pro b-ball are 5'7 - 6' while the foreign players or imports are 6-6'2

PostPosted: 18 Aug 2014, 17:52 

Jeff has given you some great advice... work on your all around game. You never know how much you are going to grow but one thing for sure, you WILL have to know all the skills.

Good luck