All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 22 Sep 2009, 11:38 

I'm wondering why is that most of the time my power is not enough for shooting 3 points? But inside the 3points line i can shoot very comfortably everywhere.

PostPosted: 22 Sep 2009, 11:40 

It takes a lot of strength and coordination to shoot 3-pointers. There are many NBA players that don't shoot 3-pointers! These guys are the best of the best.

Most of the problem often occurs with the lower body. The lower body can generate a lot of power if used properly. Make sure your knees are bent, hips back, shoulders are over feet, and back flat before you jump. As you jump, make sure to release the ball as you are going up. Too many players try to shoot like Kobe by hanging in the air before they shoot. This only gives the defense more time to recover to block the shot and lowers your shooting percentage, because it's hard to develop a smooth shot when you hang in the air.

For the common player, it's much better to have a quick shot than a jump shot where you get as high as you can.

I would keep working on your mid-range game and test your range by shooting 3-pointers. If you are 15 years old or younger, I wouldn't worry too much about 3-point shots. It can do harm than good if you shoot with poor mechanics. You can start shooting them as you age and get stronger. However, if you want to test your range, that's okay. Just make sure you are using good form.

Best of Luck!

Joe Haefner
Breakthrough Basketball LLC