All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 04 Apr 2012, 23:20 

hi there i have a question regarding my shooting form. im an ok shooter with decent form except i notice that sometimes when i shoot, i feel the ball comes off my ring finger and pinky finger on my follow through. this obviously throws off my shot and in situations where it doesnt throw off the shot, u can notice that the spin on the ball is tilted off to the side so when it hits inside of the rim, instead of going in, it rolls around on the inside of the rim and out. im wondering how to fix this? what i do at the moment is i tape my middle finger and my ring finger together. is this an ok solution? or is there a better way to fix this?

this doesnt happen all the time though, just on occasion i would put up a shot and it'll come off my ring and pinky fingers, which bugs me because it just doest feel right and i dont really know how to fix it. thanks.

p.s. im a lefty so when i say the spin is tilted to the side, its tilted to the left a bit.

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2012, 08:52 

You need to break down your shot until your FORM is GREAT (as close to perfect as possible)

This is all about developing MUSCLE MEMORY - that comes with 100s / 1,000s of shots.

My suggestion is for you to start standing by a wall ,,,,,dribble the ball once and bring the all up with your shooting hand (NO GUIDE HAND HERE) Go into your shot and hold your follow through.

I taught BEEF

Balance
Elbow under the ball
Eye on the target
Follow through

After shooting 100s off the wall - move to the basket ....start at one block, then the middle, then to the other block.
This is all done with one HAND. Do this until your FORM is AUTOMATIC.... Then you can move back a few feet and add your guide hand, making sure that you are NOT using it in your shot.

I hope this helps, IF not, ask questions.

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2012, 08:54 

By the way - as you bring the ball up with your shooting hand - the ball should be sitting in the palm of your hand in the proper position.... you should be able to put a pencil between the ball and your palm.

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2012, 09:18 

thanks a bunch. will be trying this immediately.

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2012, 10:50 

Makes me also wonder if your shooting hand is too far over on the ball.