All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 19 Dec 2014, 08:53 

I'm working with 7-8 year old boys. I have 9 on my team, they are doing great I do drills from this site. Problem I have my boys that do the drills almost perfect are my worst player when it come game time. They dribble best, good form layups, foot work etc, but put any pressure on them and they crack. The kids that are sloppy score all the points get all the rebound but its sloppy. Make wild shots and foul like crazy. What can I do to get the kids that are fundamentally better to play in the games. I have to say they do make great passes and all there foul shoots. We went 16 out of 20 on foul shouts and won 35 to 30 against the most agressive team in our league.

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2014, 09:00 
Site Admin

How much time do you spend on competitive drills versus non-competitive drills?

For example, a stationary figure 8 dribbling drill would be considered non-competitive drill. Where a drill like high 5 one-on-one would be considered competitive.
http://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/drills/high-five-one-on-one.html

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2014, 09:04 

I actually did that drill last practice. I do a lot of 1v1 drills. On defense all my kids do great no timid players there, it's just offense where they crack at.

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2014, 09:33 
Site Admin

So is it just lay ups where they crack? Or is it passing too?

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2014, 18:47 

Layups and shooting ,passing the do good at. Not aggressive

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2014, 22:50 

Coach,

Can you clarify what you mean by not aggressive shooting and lay-ups?

Is it that they hesitate to take open shots?

Is that they don't seek contact going up for lay-ups and try to avoid going into the defender? Do they fade away?

I would also say that with 7-8 year olds, if you have them sound fundamentally, that is the most key thing. Aggressiveness tends to come with familiarity and game experience. There really is no substitute for that experience. As they grow and mature, as they gain playing experience, they will develop that aggressiveness naturally.

Just my thoughts, doesn't make me correct.

Brian Sass

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2014, 06:52 
Site Admin

I have a couple 4th graders that do things well in practice but in games they freeze. I still can't figure out why. Each kid is different. I don't know if they are scared to make mistakes, nervous, don't want to be there, thinking too much, forget what to do under pressure, etc.

There are so many unique personalities out there. What works for one kid doesn't work for another. However in most cases I think kids freeze in games because of fear of failure. They are scared to miss and/or make mistakes.

I'd be patient because most just snap out of it with experience. Then all you can do is get to know them and try to help them realize it's ok to miss shots and make mistakes.

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2014, 08:54 

briansass wrote:
Coach,

Can you clarify what you mean by not aggressive shooting and lay-ups?

Is it that they hesitate to take open shots?

Is that they don't seek contact going up for lay-ups and try to avoid going into the defender? Do they fade away?

Brian Sass

All of the above. Also give you a example other night we played 3on3 man to man defense. The kids that i say are sloppy would not play man to man. They where all over the place only attacking who has the ball. They don't pass, walk and foul, but they score like crazy. The kids that are staying with there man and passing don't score at all unless it's a foul shot. The sloppy kids points come from fast breaks, after they rough up the kid with the ball they take it and score. It don't matter if they have 3 defenders on them they will try to take a shot. They are scoring but it's not team basketball the kids that look fundamental better just don't score.

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2014, 09:06 

I think it was Bear Bryant who said that it was amazing how quickly a message traveled from the rear end to the brain. If they aren't doing what you have asked them to do, sit them. Explain why they are being sat.

At the same time, they are only 7 and 8. They will not always be under control and they will do things on the court that will frustrate you and confuse you.

Trust me, I've been coaching 7th and 8th graders and even they do some things on court which I find myself very frustrated at.

In practice, work on the things you want them to do. On the defensive end, practice 3 on 3 and 4 on 4 shell. If they start to free-lance and do whatever they want, have them do push-ups or running.

The free-lance element is something that I struggle with in the game of basketball. Some kids have instincts and thoughts on the court which occur naturally that may not fit with the system, but are aggressive and you want to encourage.

The trick is seeing and reinforcing those instincts that will continue to serve them well at the next level, and correcting those that won't.

I was constantly telling and reinforcing to my kids that just because some of the things they were doing were successful last year, or in park district, or previously when they played does NOT mean that they will work as they get to a higher level. At the same time, I fight with myself constantly because I still WANT my players to be aggressive on the court. I want them to trust their instincts. I want them to play from a place that is natural. I don't want them thinking too much. So it is a good question. Some of this could just be basic comprehension and the natural extension of growing as athletes and as kids. As they get older and more mature, they'll better be able to harness their aggression and instincts to your instruction.

Just my thoughts, I know they meandered a bit.

Brian Sass

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2014, 09:16 

I may be wrong but I have a feeling the kids that listen and do as I tell them over time will be come better team players