All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 29 Oct 2014, 08:01 

Hi there!

New User here and first post. Thanks to everyone here for all of the help and information that you give.

I am having problems with my 5th/6th grade girls team.

In the first few weeks of preseason, we shot from the closer FT lines, and just recently was I informed that the rules changed this year and we will be shooting regulation free throws.

This has confused some of the girls because they could barely make a FT before while two steps closer to the basket. Now the whole team is looking funky.

One of the surprising things as well is that one of our tallest players cannot even hit rim or backboard after I have patiently and encouragingly worked with her for hours on her form and release.

What is the best way to improve shot power and accuracy for girl's free throws?

Thanks in advance! Coach E

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2014, 17:36 

Practice, more practice, then.... more practice.

1) For accuracy, I like to take the boys on the side of the basket and have them shoot with one hand hitting the side of the backboard. It's a great way to get them shooting straight. The ball should hit the side and bounce straight back to them.

2) They will have to get their butts down a bit more when shooting. The main problem I see when player's begin to move further away from the basket is they don't bend their knees which forces them to shoot more with their arms.

3) Practice.

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2014, 17:39 

thanks Rob! will update after next practice.