All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 22 Jun 2013, 16:11 

It seems that the floater (teardrop) has become a significant offensive tool for numerous high-level players. However, I have never seen it taught or practiced. What if a coach had certain players practice the shot? We practice every other shot type- layups, free throws, jump shots, etc. If it is appropriate for instruction/practice, what age and type of player?
Best coaching site available!

PostPosted: 25 Jun 2013, 08:05 
Site Admin

I think you'll get mixed opinions on this topic. Some coaches are strongly against teaching it until maybe college. Others work it into their skill development at a young age.

My opinion is this. The majority of young kids don't need to work on a floater because they can't even hit a mid range shot with their feet set, let alone work on a floater. With that said, I do think players need multiple ways to score and some kids might be ready to work on finishing moves.

The reason to use a floater is to score baskets near the basket via dribble drive. There are many finishing moves and I do agree there is a time and place to teach "finishing moves". With the exception of very advanced youth players, I generally start working on finishing moves with 8th-10th graders (assuming those kids have some of the basic skills down).

This summer I started working with a new group of kids that are in 9th and 10th grade. We are working on jump hooks really close to the basket to develop ambidexterity and establish some foundations to help kids eventually finsh better near the basket. Beyond that we are not working on finishing moves because they are not ready. Some of the footwork, shooting technique, and ballhandling skills have a long way to go before I can justify spending time on finishing moves.

I completely agree with the concept of finishing near the basket and teaching that skill. I teach it myself so I can develop players that can both shoot outside or drive to the basket and make shots. But there are other ways to finish and I think the teardrop is a move you teach to certain players. Sometimes a runner (which is simply a lay up that you shoot a little further from the basket) is easier to teach. There are probably 20 other finishing moves that can work pretty well. So I give each individual player a few different moves to choose from. Then when we practicing "finishing", they practice their own move. This works for me but might not work for other coaches.

PostPosted: 26 Jun 2013, 14:39 

I see the floater shot a lot at the 8th/9th grade level. Some kids have it down, others seem to throw up desperation floaters. This is the age you begin to see stark differences in heights between the players. Personally, I'd rather see a player use a strong finishing move to the basket, but I understand the need for some of the smaller guards having that shot in their arsenal.

Depending upon the level of play (comp vs. rec), I'd start introducing the floater in 7th/8th grade. I concur with Jeff, the players would need to have their fundamentals down on shooting first though.

PostPosted: 26 Jun 2013, 15:26 

After reading these posts..... seems to me that its pretty simple..... you better be fundamentally sound before you try things like this.... kind of like shooting 3s before you can make a 15' shot.

There is so much to teach kids I felt like we never had the time to teach this move... I'd rather have a GREAT 3 point shooter or a kid that could take the ball to the basket and finish with a strong move... to each his own. IF it can work for you, go for it.

Teaching m2m D or zones to young kids? You already know my thoughts on this one. :-)

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2013, 09:41 

My guys, the guards in particular, (we are rising 7th graders)use the floater and we practice it some. I have one boy who makes about half his floaters and that is a good percentage. There are two versions -- one (more common and what we mostly use) off one foot but there is a two footer made popular by Derrick Rose and Dwayne Wade that we have not learned yet.

Pros -- it is used a lot at the higher levels and if you learn the movements now it will be easier for them later. It is an excellent shot for a smaller guard to get off in traffic against bigger players when their shot would be blocked if they go all the way to the rim. It is a decent shot against a zone. I like it to because we encourage penetration and it gives them an option if they can make initial penetrations but can't get all the way to the basket. Players can kick out a pass to the wing easily enough if the shot isn't there.

Cons -- Not all kids are ready for it. If you are not careful, kids will force the shot and turn it into a one handed throw at the basket (what I call a goofy shot) and if that starts to happen regularly you will need to reign those players/shots in. The floater sometimes can become but should not be a substitute for a hard drive to the rim when the opportunity is there. Definitely do not let it become a crutch for learning other finishing moves.

PostPosted: 04 Feb 2015, 11:28 

My son seems to have developed a baseline floater when he drop steps to the outside, I'm trying to get him to be more aggressive, finishing at the rim, but most of the time he picks it up and floats it up there with his 2 steps LOL. It goes in most of the time, so I am not really getting on him about it. Part of the problem is he is so darn big, I think he is afraid of hurting someone out there LOL.