All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 25 Jan 2012, 16:56 

I coach at a very small private school where 10 of my 12 players are Chinese. I don't speak their language and some of them are quite limited in their English. They all have very little experience. I have one player who is very aggressive and driven. He's the best player. I am trying to get the others to care as much as he does but he is frustrated and so are the other players. Any suggestions on how to motivate the others without creating a feeling of resentment and frustration for all involved?

PostPosted: 26 Jan 2012, 07:56 
Site Admin

Some of the ideas on this page might help:
http://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/mental/motivate-players.html

PostPosted: 26 Jan 2012, 08:42 

Your best player is probably your hardest working in practice too..... maybe he can help with the language barrier AND he might be able to help motivate the other players without coming across as being bossy.

Let him know that he has to or could be the leader on the floor and maybe off the floor too.

Is there one player that can translate to the kids that don't understand English very well? The more kids you can get involved with something to do with the team the better chance you will have with reaching them.

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2012, 16:46 

Thanks so much for you help. I love this site because you seem to value the same things I do. The coach as teacher and emphasizing teamwork and sportsmanship. Thanks for all your work.