All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 25 Oct 2010, 08:33 

I have a draft coming up, & I really don't know how this really works. My main question is which position is more important for me to draft first?

PostPosted: 25 Oct 2010, 09:28 

As for me, I think it all starts with a good point guard, then a shooter and next a rebounder. The rest you fit in around those three positions. JMO A good shut down defender is a must also.

PostPosted: 25 Oct 2010, 16:48 

We had the draft this weekend. I had the first pick over all. With that pick I selected the best point guard. The rest of my picks are either average or beginner players. Being that my best player would be a point guard what would be the best offense can i teach? I'm more of defensive minded coach, on my other teams that I had coached I always had atleast 5 to 6 players with good knowledge of the game. This is my first time coaching this age group. I have always had coached the older groups.

PostPosted: 25 Oct 2010, 18:58 

Use the KISS method.... use something very simple for them...... 4 or 5 out motion..... pass and v cut to the basket... everyone rotates. You have a lot of teaching to do and I think this gives you the best opportunity to teach every player the skills necessary to play the game.

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2010, 15:13 

I finally got to meet my whole team & have our first practice. These are the players that I have on my team.

-We have a good player that will be our center. He knows pretty well what he has to do to get his own shots, drive to the basket, rebound & block shots.
-Another good player we have is our point guard. For an 11 year old he has tremendous ball handling skills & a decent mid range jumper.
-We also have 3 pretty good shooters. 2 of those I will need to rotate between shooting guard & small forward.
-We have 2 other players that like to hustle, fight for rebounds & loose balls. And aren't afraid to help out on defense. (well atleast thats what showed when we scrimmaged). 1 of those players I will need to start at power forward of have him as a back up forward/center.
-The other 3 players are beginners, but they showed they're not scared to play hard defense.

Now my question is which kind of offense & defense would be best for a group like this?

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2010, 16:24 

I take it this is youth bball..... what age group is this?

Teach them how to play good m2m defense and run a simple pass and cut offense.... You have the nucleous of a good team... all the pieces - teach everybody how to play both ends of the floor. #1 goal is to have fun while you teach them solid fundamentals.

Winning is not the end all here..... winning is a by product of good solid fundamentals. If you teach them how to play they will get their fare share of Ws..... get them ready to play at the next level.

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2010, 16:38 

this is an 11-12 youth league.

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2010, 16:56 

I would go with what I said in the prior post....
anthony12308 wrote:
Teach them how to play good m2m defense and run a simple pass and cut offense.... You have the nucleous of a good team... all the pieces - teach everybody how to play both ends of the floor. #1 goal is to have fun while you teach them solid fundamentals.

Winning is not the end all here..... winning is a by product of good solid fundamentals. If you teach them how to play they will get their fare share of Ws..... get them ready to play at the next level.

PostPosted: 05 Nov 2010, 14:08 

As indicated, stick with fundamentals. I wish I’d focused even more on them when I coached that age. Many of the 14 year olds I deal with now who have been in our program for a while, still lack basics. Poor pivoting/footwork, dribbling, defensive stance, layup, transition (really gets me, RUN back to defend please!). It may hurt a game or two now because you didn’t spend half a practice getting that inbound play done, but in the long run it will pay off for the kids.
Also, highly recommend Bob Bigelow’s DVD available on this site as well. Our program bought a couple to share among the coaches and will probably get some more as they're getting heavy use.
Best of luck!
Steve