All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 11 Dec 2009, 10:39 

We have 4 Freshman that are starters for Varisty Level. Due to being a small school and only 1 senior and 2 juniors and 2 Soph. The freshmen are the better athletes and ball players. How do we help build that confidence level in those girls. They don't have that confidence and when they don't have that, the rest of the team does not have that trust in them either! The four freshman lettered last year as 8th graders so they have experiece. Last year lost by 40- 50 points a game, this year can see a change and better ball playing and only losing by about 20 now. Need some help on keeping the motativation and confidence alive with the team and my coaches.

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2009, 12:43 

Tough situation coach!
You can't tell your upperclassmen this but you are building for the future. Sounds like your freshmen will development into very good players in time but they have to go through their tough and frustrating learning curves on the way there.

I'd communicate to all players and even parents that this year will be dedicated to player improvement and skill development not wins and losses. Tell your players that no matter how much they get beat by, they will walk away a better player after EVERY game.

I'd start the senior every game. Regardless of his/her talent level. If that senior has played the previous 3 years, he/she has earned that. You can always pull the senior out after a couple of minutes if she/he is getting overmatched.

One more thing....keep it upbeat and light during practices and always bring up more positives than negatives during halftime talks and during your post-game team talk.

Lastly,

Keep the team loose and upbeat by inviting (mandatory) them to off-court team gatherings. Gathering as a team outside the stresses and pressures of games and practices can have a positive impact on them. You want to use this time for the freshmen to hang out and get to know the upperclassmen.

examples:

- Invite them over to your house for a hi-carb pasta dinner
- A fun night out bowling (this I've done and it was fun!!)
- Treat them to a local college basketball game
- Volunteer work
- Put on a one night basketball clinic at the high school gym for youth players in your town. Have your players attend and help out and work with the kids.

Good Luck

Coach A