All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 16 Jun 2015, 01:16 

Odd question: Can anyone recommend a good sports psychologist or hypnotist. My son who just turned 14 is a good player is getting a hang up on shooting. He and is going out for his high school team. He is a real solid defensive player,has good ball handling, great passer and good shooter-ok he is about 70% on free throw and maybe 50% on FG so not thee best but solid. He made the all star team based on his over all game. But he is becoming more and more reluctant to shoot-his coach will even yell take the shot but he seems more hung up on the possibility of missing the shot than making the shot. In a tournament game he just played he took just 8 shots and made 5 of them but is still relutant to shoot. Some games he shoots even less. Part of it may be he played on a travel team where the whole offense depended on him feeding the ball into a very tall center the team had or maybe he is afraid of being yelled at for missing, can't say I've ever held him yelled at for that though.

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2015, 04:18 
Site Admin

I don't have any personal recommendations for a Sports Psychologist or Hypnotist. Sorry.

But you may want to try one of Don Kelbick's shooting camps. Or even his attack & counter camps. He is huge into mentality and eliminating the fear of failure. I know numerous players that say his camps have helped them improve confidence and get rid of that fear. I can't say for sure if it would solve your son's challenge though. But it may be worth a try.