All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 21 Apr 2014, 17:12 

If you have the resources to do this, finding a private coach for a few sessions might help your son. I found a private coach right around 6th grade for my son and it made a world of difference. He helped build his confidence and help motivate him to practice on his own more. People noticed a huge difference a few months into the deal.

PostPosted: 22 Apr 2014, 10:07 

Thanks you all so much. All this advice has given me productive ideas to help my son out and it is greatly appreciated. I will continue to reach out to you for opinions and to provide updates...thanks again so much.

PostPosted: 22 Apr 2014, 10:25 

Good luck, I hope your son has some fun and improves game. As for us, ask away, you never know when you will get some "good" advice haha

PostPosted: 22 Apr 2014, 11:20 

Ha!!! Thank you Coach Sar, I needed a little levity! Gotta keep things in their proper perspective...thanks a bunch!

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2014, 08:14 

Michael, Jumping into AAU hoops can be a big shock to the system for parent and player both. It sounds like your son is a little overwhelmed. This ideas offered about continued to practice as much as possible as well as getting private training are all good and will help him improve his skills (I suggest getting onto youtube and searching for 5 dot drills, really helps with foot speed and coordination) but the mental piece of this is just as important if not more so and if he is stuck on the end of the bench and hardly ever plays his confidence and enthusiasm will continue to suffer. I would look for another AAU team where the coach has more of an equal play philosophy or a smaller roster where the numbers assure him of decent playing team. Or give some thought of stepping out of AAU entirely and playing for a less competitive team where he is one of the better players. Keeping in mind that this is a long process and good luck.

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2014, 08:29 

Thanks. No he's been in AAU for close to seasons now... he's currently on a new team and I've also coached some AAU. There's one player clearly better than all the other kids and the rest are somewhat even in skill but there is athletic difference between the . We've all had a conversation and it appears we all want the same goals and that is for all the kids to improve and develop. The coach means well so I'm going to trust his judgment and continue to encourage my kid to work hard. Thanks so much for your words, I greatly appreciate it.