All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 06 Mar 2014, 07:37 

I currently coach middle school girls (two teams - 20 girls) and they will be hiring a high school varsity coach this off season. I want to apply for this but I am unsure what to submit when the time comes. Do I get recommendations from current parents or students? My assistant coach? etc.... I have coach community ball for years and this is my first school team. I know the girls loved what we did - that was clear here at the end of season. My 8th graders didn't have a game the last two weeks but everyone single one of them continued to come to practice to have fun and build on skills. That to me says something.

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2014, 16:50 

That's a tough jump from 8th grade ball to high school varsity, but, you need a good resume' - a few letters of recommendations from other coaches or ADs. The higher up the chain you go the more it means. Then, IF you can get a few people / coaches to call the AD or Principal for you, that would also help.

Good luck

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2014, 20:11 

It is a big a jump but it is for the same school and brand new high school team. They have been with another school and plan to have their own team for the first time. It is a lower level to start with but something that I would be honored to take on. And they asked me if I would be interested in the position before this year started. I don't want to take it as a gimmy however - I want to be professional about it.

PostPosted: 07 Mar 2014, 08:52 

So if you got this job, you would be working your way up the ladder so to speak. They have already asked you if you were interested, of course you are. :-) Obviously they like how you are running your program and think you will do a good job. A lot of things in life are all about being in the right place at the right time.... Let them know that you are interested and see how it plays out.

Take some time to talk to the AD and ask him how he wants you to deal with this... but if he likes you, take advantage of that situation. Coaching jobs are year to year, no tenure involved so you have to bring your A game every year. JMO