All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 24 Dec 2012, 13:05 

Hello, I am Nathan Martin, and I am wanting to become a college basketball coach. I am only a junior in high school and am wanting some pointers or help on how to start my coaching career out. I am on my high school team, but dont get much playing time. My coach though puts me in charge of scouting for our next opponents, i guess you can call it a unoffical assistant/scouting coach. My coach knows that I want to be a coach myself, so he respects my knowledge for the game, and lets me help out other players on the varsity squad, and share what I think what we are improving and need imporving in areas. I am just wondering how to get noticed as a coach so i can improve, and what I can do now only as a high schooler. I am planning on coaching some elementary kids in the summer, but I think that I can do more. I would love for anyone who knows what else I could do as a high schooler. Thanks.

PostPosted: 24 Dec 2012, 16:36 

Nathan -

First of all, good on you for wanting to become a coach. Can't think of a better way to make a difference in people's lives and as well as having a positive impact on your local community.

The biggest thing you can do to "get noticed as a coach" is coach. You mentioned working with elementary kids over the summer, I think that's a great place to start. In fact, I'm betting there are probably some local city or YMCA leagues that need volunteer coaches. Kids love working with high school students because they can relate better.

I know you want to become a college basketball coach, but don't underestimate the experience you'd gain by coaching a few seasons of youth basketball. My advice is to help coach or coach a youth team (4th - 8th grade) in the spring/summer/fall. It will allow you to see what it's like to coach a team from start to finish (dealing with practices, parents, players, games, refs, etc.) and gives you some practical experience to build your coaching resume.

Getting some specific coaching education can also help. http://www.nfhslearn.com/ has some good courses you can take. Several are free. To become certified there are paid courses you must complete. Even if you don't become certified, people can look to see which courses you've completed which can help your coaching resume.

Best of luck!

PostPosted: 25 Dec 2012, 07:16 

Nathan - Coach Rob has given you some good advice. The best way to get noticed is to coach. You can volunteer or maybe even get a paying gig,,, but you can start at the Elementary level, middle school, Jr. High or even help at the high school level. Your head coach seems to think that you know the game since he is letting you scout and help the players. That is great!!

Sit down with him and ask his advice about where you could coach or just volunteer and coach. I'm sure that he knows a lot of coaches and could help you with this. Start at any level you can and work your way up the ladder.

I wish you luck with your dream - it was one of the best things I ever did.

PostPosted: 01 Jan 2013, 23:49 

Thanks so much for the encouragement and the help. Will keep you guys up to date on my progress to becoming a coach. Thanks again, and God bless.

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2013, 02:08 

[b][/b]Nate: The advice from both Coach Rob and Coach Sar is most sound however, don't forget to develop relationships on your way up. Every coaching position I acquired, needed help from former coaches or players. Further, to get into college coaching requires a degree. But once you are in college, apply for any position you can get affiliated with either women's or men's basketball. If it requires laundering uniforms (I did it) then do it, if it requires you to pass out towels, water or do taping (I have done this also) then do it. Finally, attend clinics, read articles but most importantly of all, begin developing a philosophy. what style do you want to play, will you play man to man or zone, will you press on defence and run on offence, talk to anyone who will listen, ask questions but most of all, shut up and listen to older more seasoned coaches like Coaches Sars and Rob. Good luck young man. Coach Mac[size=150][/size]