All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 06 May 2010, 10:18 

I have been trying some new trapping presses and had great luck with 1-2-1-1 half court trap many team's choose not to trap at half court can you maybe give some great information about various half court traps and drills to train teams. I coach at a high school and a AAU travel girl\'s team and tried recently and had great success and just wondering what you people think. Keep up all the great information, you people do a great job.
Coach Baker

PostPosted: 06 May 2010, 15:30 

Coach,

We used a 1-2-2 type pressure with traps. I like this because it was safe and you could just float, you could trap 1 and done... you could trap once, fall back and look again for the trap right over half court... all from the same press. You don't have to change anything except for where you pick up the ball and where you trap if you are going to.

Look at this on coaches clipboard.

Basketball Defense - 1-2-2 Zone Press, Coach's Clipboard Playbook

PostPosted: 09 May 2010, 07:03 

I coach girl's U-13 AAU ball. I like using a 1-2-1-1 press trap fullcourt.

Then, once in a while we will drop back and set up a 1-3-1 half court trap which is very similar
to 1-2-1-1. We force ball to sidelines, trap just before or just after 1/2 court.

PostPosted: 10 May 2010, 10:51 

I am personally a fan favorite of a 2-2-1. The can be used to speed the game up or slow it down. But either way it causes the offense to move diagonal and not in the middle.
I stress keeping the ball in front and forcing it sideline. If someone is going to beat the trap they must throw across court.
Whatever you decide, stay with it and realize you will have times where you gives up easy baskets. If you have the personel to run and trap you must stay firm so everyone can buy into it. You must also have a bench. If you are going to press your players will get tired.

PostPosted: 10 May 2010, 10:52 

I would also like to add...if you are going to press...you need to decide what you are going to run in the half court.

If you are going m2m you have to get matched up quickly. If you are playing zone it may be quicker to get to spots.