All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 24 Jan 2010, 14:04 

Hi guys, just wondering, I have currently 8 players in my team that works pretty well but next season I may have 9. Do you have anything that may assist in the perhaps a good practical way of rotating with 9 players to give most players an even amount. Thanks.

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2010, 15:27 

Coach,

Not knowing the makeup of your players makes this a little difficult.... I would say this... make sure that you have ONE good ball handler on the floor at all times... ONE good big man (if you can) and ONE good shooter. Then add a shutdown defender and a great rebounder... hmmm... wouldn't we all like a team like this.

Try to balance the team you have on the floor so that the weakest players aren't on the floor at the same time... what age group is this?

PostPosted: 02 Feb 2010, 18:31 

Sorry Coach for the late reply. The age group is under 14 girls. I have a mixture of talent. I have 2 very good ball handlers and outside shooters who play top level rep, I have 3 medium skilled players and 2 players who really struggle. I am introducing a player who is a highly skilled and can shoot from inside and outside. This will give me the 9. Parents not happy with the ninth but in all seriousness we are always thereabouts and with another top level player it can assist the better players as at the moment they do all the work.

With what you are saying it will assist. the only thing is that I only have 1 very tall (very timid) and another sort of tall (more wide) but she lacks quick skills unfortunately and at this age level it is really catching up with her with some of them.

PostPosted: 02 Feb 2010, 19:02 

Of course they aren't happy, it will take playing time away from their daughter.... looking at how you are describing your bigger girls... emphasize to them the importance of rebounding... everyone can contribute in their own way...
Then try to rotate your players so you have some strengths at every position.
Good luck Coach

PostPosted: 02 Feb 2010, 19:22 

Yep correct. I am trying to be diplomatic about it. My own daughter is in the team and she gets minimal playing time as it is I reckon but at least she thinks it would be great to have this player.

With this extra player it will assist greatly by having a good ball handler on the court at any one time instead of at rare times now they are both off on a break. But when they do it really shows.

Oh well something for us coaches to deal with.