All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 20 Jan 2014, 15:35 

Hello Everyone,

First, I want to say THANK YOU for building such a great resource for coaches. I am very grateful.

I am a first-time coach for my son's 6th-7th grade school team. I played Jr High and High School basketball. Aside from my willingness to do it, I am not qualified to coach. Regardless, I have leapt into it, and really do enjoy the coaches' life. Staying up all night thinking about tomorrow's plan is fun!

My problem is the size of the team. We only have 7 players, and that's only if none of them quit (our best player may quit because I explained to him that while we will incorporate his abilities, he's going to have to paly where the team most needs him. I'm not having a problem standing up when it comes time to make the hard coaching call. the team's interests override player interests.

My main concern is game fatigue. We have 20 minute halves, and I'm fairly certain we don't have enough of a bench to substitute effectively when players need breathers.

I'm looking for advice on this subject. Frankly, I remember playing a lot, but don't remember being tired. Can kids hack playing a full game? How can I most effectively substitute players when my bench is only two players?

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2014, 16:11 

denglish2 wrote:
My problem is the size of the team. We only have 7 players, and that's only if none of them quit (our best player may quit because I explained to him that while we will incorporate his abilities, he's going to have to paly where the team most needs him. I'm not having a problem standing up when it comes time to make the hard coaching call. the team's interests override player interests.

I don't know what offense you are running... but maybe you can give this kid a little taste of the position he wants to play? I had a 6'7 center one year that wanted to shoot 3s....... I put in an option on one of our plays where he stepped out to shoot a 3. We ran it in practice, but never ran it in a game, He was happy. One year I helped a 7th grade coach and his tallest player wanted to play on the wing... coach wanted him to play center. He was NOT very good in the post and he played very well on the wing. So, just give this some thought as to how you can do what is best for this team while giving him something to make him happy... if only for a few minutes. Talk to him about how important he is to the team, you have to SELL him on the team concept.

denglish2 wrote:
My main concern is game fatigue. We have 20 minute halves, and I'm fairly certain we don't have enough of a bench to substitute effectively when players need breathers.

Think of how hockey teams sub.... you can make your first sub 3 mins into the game, he is playing with 4 starters. Now you can sub the other kid in another minute... just keep rotating. Make yourself a cheat sheet for substitutions so its easier to deal with. Maybe have another parent help you with that?

Hard to believe that 7th graders cant handle that, but it is what it is.... so, plan your practices wisely. Run a couple of hard drills where they really have to work hard and then one easy one... like shooting. Do this throughout your entire practice. I stopped running for conditioning after a couple of yeasrs, waste of time.... but the kids did have to push themselves. AND, USE YOUR TIME - OUTS WISELY.

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2014, 16:16 

I played with 5-7 players for 24 games our 8th grade season (last year). I had 8, one got injured early on and was out for the season. We'd get down to 5-7 in games because someone would get injured or sick. Had two games where only 5 were available and ended up playing with 4 at the end of game because one fouled out. It can be done and there are pro's and con's. Played 1/3 of our games with 5 players only. Won a few, lost most.

Pro's: playing time, more experience, they learn how to manage fouls, tighter team work

Con's: hard to press, people tend to come out more often, possible foul trouble with little wiggle room on subs

Personally, I wouldn't play unless I had at least 8 players committed.

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2014, 09:09 

Thanks for the replies folks, much appreciated.

We're running a 3-2 motion, with a couple of scripted plays. Trying to let them ad-lib motion turns into playground ball, so I'm hoping the plays will give some structure that they can build some ad-hoc play from moving forward- we need to get the idea of position discipline down pat.

My best player is also the tallest, so I think I need him in the post. Knowing this would be unpopular, I designed some plays to get him outside, but unfortunately when I passed out the plays on Friday he wasn't there. Understand on the sell piece, and I'll be doing it.

I like the rotating players thing. I'm going to need to read up on how to sub. Any suggestions on resources? I'll need to start from square one: how to arrange subs with the officials, etc.

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2014, 09:46 

Check this out -

http://www.milfordrecreation.com/documents/player_rotation_form.pdf

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2014, 13:54 

The more I think about this, my perspective is a bit different because our team was playing in two leagues last year at the same time. A lot of times we were looking at 4-5 games per week with at least 1 double header. Although, you mentioned your league will have 20 minute halves and that can be pretty grueling with only 7 players.

I'm betting you won't have to worry about how you're going to sub with only 7 players. Kids will get tired and you'll be able to spot that, plus fouls will play a part in this whole deal. If a kid snags two right off the bat, you may have to sit them to conserve fouls.

I'd be more apt to sub based on what I'm seeing on the court vs. a predetermined rotation. Unless you have some sort of play-time rule, I think you'll be fine with playing time for each player since you only have 7 players.

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2014, 23:23 

Frankly, I think you are in heaven. Only 7 players. To me that's ideal - no complaints about playing time. With 20 min. halves, I assume it is a running clock. So there will only be 10-15 min. of actual playing time. Kids want to play. They won't get tired.

As for rotation, you'll figure it out based on minutes, fouls, matchups, etc.

As for your best player. Let him play. Don't just stick him down low. Your kids may have trouble getting him the ball. Let him handle the ball and play on the perimeter. I "big man" who can shoot from outside is dangerous.

Good luck.

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2014, 09:33 

Thanks for the input golfman.

I've taken the advice to heart, and moved the main player to 02. He is happy, and another kid is stepping into the post position with zeal, so everyone is happy, and we have our impact player in a more "dynamic" spot. I'm also trying to keep him interested by asking him to be our shot caller on the court- to recognize things and get folks to adjust defensively or reset offensively.

Embarrassingly, my concern with fatigue was more a symptom of not being intimate with the little things such as knowing one can make unlimited substitutions. If there's a resource out there that talks about the little things- things that a new coach will overlook, I would be grateful for a push to it.

Now our big challenge is "chucking". In practice, they'll throw the ball at the hoop in all kinds of situations that just make one want to bang their head. I keep hammering at them that when they're off balance they should only shoot as a last resort, and drill them on mid-range set shots, but the playground mentality and the glory of being the 3 point sniper is strong in them...

I think the biggest handicap of only having 7 players is not being able to go 5 v 5 to simulate games and the importance of staying in position. Our defensive drills are weak- trying to incorporate a shell drill when there aren't enough people to pass around was a disaster. Mostly I'm just doing 1 v1 drills and trying to teach good man to man skills; kinda lost there too.

Having fun...:)

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2014, 09:49 

Think of a lot of 3 on 3 work then. You can play ball side / help side with that too.

Think of a point guard and 2 wings... ball is at the point - semi pressure on the ball, both wing defenders are in denial but will let the pass go ( if you play denial, otherwise they can sag a bit. PASS to a wing.... that defender is on the ball then, point defender jumps to the ball - on/up the line and the weak side defender jumps to the help line.

I hope this is clear.

denglish2 wrote:
Now our big challenge is "chucking". In practice, they'll throw the ball at the hoop in all kinds of situations that just make one want to bang their head. I keep hammering at them that when they're off balance they should only shoot as a last resort, and drill them on mid-range set shots, but the playground mentality and the glory of being the 3 point sniper is strong in them...

Remember, these are young kids and are still learning the game. YOU have to sell them on your philosophy and how you want them to play. Selling them on what IS and what ISN'T a good shot. Try to get them to understand how important it is to get a GOOD shot, not some THROW at the basket.

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2014, 10:06 

denglish2 wrote:
I think the biggest handicap of only having 7 players is not being able to go 5 v 5 to simulate games and the importance of staying in position. Our defensive drills are weak- trying to incorporate a shell drill when there aren't enough people to pass around was a disaster. Mostly I'm just doing 1 v1 drills and trying to teach good man to man skills; kinda lost there too.

As for defensive drills 0 look at this page
http://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/drills/basketballdrills.html#defense-drills

Think of 1 on 1 zig zag
Point to wing defense
Point wing and post
Deny the flash cutters
The helpside dreill I just described

* Zig - zag defense:

1 on 1, the idea of the drill is to make the player with the ball change directions without getting beat.... NO reaching, play with your feet. This is done full court and it goes from sideline to the free throw lane line, the offense must stay between those lines.

* Point / Wing

Player with the ball at the point, the other player on the wing. To show your players what the LINE for defense is ( IF you are playing on/up the line) roll the ball from the point to the wing. Explain that when they go for a deflection it will be with the near hand to the ball. UP the line is just that... move the wing defender towards the ball so he can help out if the point player beats his man. In the beginning just have them pass the ball, NO deflections. You just want to make sure that they are in the right position.

Once you allow the wing player to move, the wing defender has to adjust his position also.

* Point, Wing and Post ( very important to keep the ball out of the post )

Point and wing are set up the same, but now you add a post player with a defender. The post defender is on/up the line also, when the ball goes to the wing, post defender slides in front of the offensive player. ( IF you decide to dead front the post. ) OR you can 3/4 deny. For the sake of the drill, the D lets the wing player pass the ball into the post but the post defender steps in front for the steal or deflection.

IF you have any questions, feel free to ask, I will try and clairy the situation There are a couple of more things but I think this is a good start for you. Closing out and denying cutters would be next. Closing out would be more important for your age group I would thinik.