All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 02 Oct 2013, 10:29 

Curious what habits you other coaches find yourself doing before and during games? Lucky socks? Certain drills or words of wisdom?

One of things I have to do is chew gum for some odd reason, it's something I've done for the past 10 years. Guess it helps relieve the tension during the game, but if I forget, it throws me off a bit. Strange huh?

PostPosted: 02 Oct 2013, 11:37 

Before games.... after the pregame talk and we are on the floor for warm ups... I would talk to the other coach a little, to the refs a little bit.... make sure our match ups are right and most of the time I was watching our players warm up... to make sure they wrere working hard.

During the game I was up and down.... talking to my players, carrying a towel to shove in my mouth when I was ticked. LOL Loosened my tie and somewhere along the line my sport coat came off.... My assistant would say, NOW you are ready to work. LOL

He used to rest his elbow on his knee.... and I would knock it off just to keep us loose.

This was a boys high school varsity team.

PostPosted: 02 Oct 2013, 13:19 

I like the towel idea. lol

Another thing we do (saw it at our local high school game one night a few years back) is wish the opposing coach 'good luck'. With about 1:30 to go before the game starts, I have my players go shake the opposing coach's hand and wish him/her good luck. I wait until they're done and do the same. Kind of a cool thing, most coaches are appreciative.

With the refs, I usually throw out a line like, "I was told that if there are any questionable calls, the ball goes to black/white (whatever jersey color we are wearing at the time)", which usually gets a laugh and loosens things up a bit before the game.

I don't really have any superstitions, although I've heard of other coaches wearing certain ties, socks, etc. on game day.

PostPosted: 02 Oct 2013, 13:30 
Site Admin

I just try to go to the bathroom before every game. Especially when we play back to back games!!

Seemed to work pretty well last year - went undefeated. So I probably should continue the ritual.

PostPosted: 02 Oct 2013, 15:27 

Geeeez Jeff -

If I knew it was only that simple, I could have gone undefeated too, " I could have been somebody! "

PostPosted: 02 Oct 2013, 16:49 

Towels and bathroom, got it. That's why I like the site, I get practical info.