All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 22 Oct 2012, 10:06 

hey guys, I am currently coaching at a small college in Ohio. We run a dribble drive motion offense with the team.
I am thinking that I will either be coaching high school or middle school in the future.

Can the dribble drive offense be used with students as low as middle school? Do they have the necessary skills to run this type of offense? Will it help to develop and prepare them for their future playing days?

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2012, 12:00 

Most of the middle school teams around here don't get a lot of practice time. So, in my opionion I would stick to a simpler motion offense. A lot of it has to do with the talent level your players have.... do you have 2 post players to run a 3 out 2 in motion.... maybe a 4 out would be better if you only have 1 good post player.

Or, if you are a smaller team, you might consider a 5 out motion. I'm not so sure that the younger kids would have the skills to run a DD offense. JMO

Better to teach them how to play good m2m defense and the basic skills to play the game.

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2012, 12:18 

yeah i understand what you mean. I am trying to work out if I would want to run a few set offenses or run some kind of motion (not sure what kind yet). I want to be able to help advance the players I am coaching as well as win some games!

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2012, 15:35 

I like the motion offense for middle school age. We run 5 out and 4 out. Once you get the basic pass and cuts, you can add back cuts, off ball screens, down screens, and on ball screens. I see this a lot, kids pass and stand there. The motion offense has simple enough rules to keep the motion going and is easy to learn with limited practice time.

Over the last 3 years, I've run into a ton of zone D's, usually a 2-3. We finally came up with a good offense against the 2-3 that works well. We run a 1-3-1 with the low man running short corner to short corner ball side. The middle 3 follows the ball. If you coach middle school, I'd be surprised if you didn't run into 2-3 zones.