All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 28 May 2013, 08:48 

When I do a review of my coaching, I really need to improve on staying emotionally stable and in the moment. I find myself getting wound to tight with players and officials and not truly observing and therefore coaching the basketball game. I feel I could help my players a lot more in-game by just observing for periods of time and having a more even approach. My brain does not work nearly as well when my emotions are flying high, I sometimes look back on games and can't even give an accurate account of the other team's strategy! I know you have to be yourself, but I truly feel I have to train myself to stay in the moment, observe and sit down once in a while. Have any of you gone through this in your coaching career?

Thank you

PostPosted: 28 May 2013, 11:00 

Coach B -

You cant imagine how much I am laughing here! Me EMOTIONAL? I think its part of gowing as a coach. In the 40 + years that I coached..... I doubt that I ever wore out a chair. Once the game stared I never knew how many people were in the stands and I could have cared less. My mind was on the game and the game plan. Staying focued on your game plan takes several years ( IMO ) This is a learning process... you will get better, Heck, you are already evaluating what you are doing.... and that is the first step.

I kept my focus on what my players were supposed to do and coached them for 32 minutes. There were times they played so well, I NEVER had to get up... those were great games. I used to rag the officials until I got a couple of Ts and then I learned how to have some fun with them.... get some laughs ... that way we all enjoyed the game.

Treat your players and the officials well and things will go a lot better for you.... be yourself because the kids will know if you are trying to be someone you aren't. The longer I coached, the better I got at it.... so dom't get worried about things you are doing.

After your games, sit down and evaluate your team and you deciions along with your behavior. Learn from it and adjust your style to where you want it. Good luck.

PostPosted: 28 May 2013, 15:20 

Coach Sar,

I appreciate the great insight. I'm not going to eliminate the energy I bring, but I am going to pick and choose my moments to make it more effective. I really want to be able to have conversations with my players and officials during the heat of a game without being so wound up. I'm obviously not Popovich from San Antonio, but I do appreciate how he controls his emotions and becomes more aggressive only when neccassary. He's been doing it a little longer, but I have to start somewhere. :)

PostPosted: 29 May 2013, 07:49 
Site Admin

I know exactly what you're saying.

Seems like I have that moment each season where I step back evaluate where my energy is directed. Some times I realize there's too much negative energy on what we're doing wrong and not enough positive reinforcement. Sometimes too much attention devoted to the refs. Sometimes just not having enough fun and sitting back to soak it in and enjoy the opportunity to coach.

Here are a few articles I reference at time to help my get back to what's important.

http://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/coaching/9-important-questions.html

http://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/coaching/yell-at-refs.html

http://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/coaching/wooden-role-model.html

PostPosted: 29 May 2013, 16:17 

Those are great articles Jeff!

PostPosted: 30 May 2013, 09:00 

Hi Jeff,

I read all three articles. They were very helpful. I'm currently reading Phil Jackson's latest book; 11 Rings-The Soul of Success. The way he deals with people and coaching is very interesting.

Thank you