All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 31 Jan 2010, 03:05 

First time this year I was faced with a team that used primarily back picks. Is there any drills we have to use, to help defend against back picks. I have told the kids 13-14 yrs olds to constantly scan by looking over shoulder, and feel with their hands and most important COMMUNICATEm but just wondering if there was something we can work with in drill form.

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2010, 08:11 

What we did was to give reverse help - stay back until the defender recovers ( we went ball side all the time on this screen ) and then recovered to our man.

Now this will allow an entry pass to be made but at least we weren't giving up easy lay ups on back door moves.

We ran a drill for this to make sure we knew what to do in games.

Clear?

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2010, 13:58 

Thanks

PostPosted: 05 Feb 2010, 05:21 

Coach: Having your kids constantly looking over their shoulders will put them off balance and vulnerable to the drive. You mentioned it in your question, communicate and communication from your teammates is vital. I have also drilled every once in awhile while still in a good defensive stance reach behind you to feel for the screen. But your teammates must let you know that the screen is coming not when its there drill that kind of court awareness into your kids. Nothing ticks me off more as a coach than to see the ball defender taken out by a solid rear screen. Coach Mac

PostPosted: 05 Feb 2010, 07:58 

Not to mention that it hurts! Nothing like running into a solid screen at full speed. COMMUNICATE - thats the key just like Coach Mac said... but like I said in my prior post... run a drill for that and they will learn to defend that properly AND talk.

PostPosted: 05 Feb 2010, 11:46 

If you want your players to be successful in a game you must do it in practice. I drill my players for back picks using 4 man shell drills. You can step up the offense anyway you wish, such as 4 out or 3 out and 1 in. But I try to simulate the opponents offense the best I can. I really stress communication as well as help and recover.