All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 19 Oct 2016, 09:42 

What is the best dvd on zone defense, Don Kelbick or Al Marshall's?

PostPosted: 19 Oct 2016, 10:24 
Site Admin

Since they teach two different zones, it's hard to compare. Kelbick is in my opinion the best match up zone DVD on the market. Marshall is the best 2-3 Zone defense DVD on the market.

What is the true meaning of a "match up zone"? Honestly, I'm not 100% sure. Some coaches will say Al Marshall's 2-3 is a "match up". Even though it's aggressive and players do "match up" when the ball is in their area and when players are in certain areas. But don't all zones do that? I don't think Al Marshall teaching a match up zone. It's just a really good 2-3 zone that is aggressive and uses good defensive principles.

I think a true match up is basically a switching man to man where but players are still responsible for certain areas.

The Kelbick Match Up is unique in that it depends on which side of the floor the ball is passed, among other things.

If you watched both DVDs, you would see that the two defenses are very different.

I think both work equally well. It all comes down to what you believe in and how well you teach the defense. I believe that... it's not "what" you do, it's "how" you do it.

I don't know if this helps any but that's a tough question and I'm trying to give you the most honest answer I can. If you have more questions, let us know.

PostPosted: 19 Oct 2016, 10:31 

Thanks Jef, yes you helped me, I'll probably go with All Marshal's.