All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 01 Sep 2015, 17:19 

I've bought your very good 2 dvd on math-up defense. I would like to know your personal rules in coverage of some specific situations :
A) a side pick and roll and other 3 players spread on 3 point line opposite side
B) center carry ball screen on a guard at top of the key , dribbler from right to left , who covers the roller ? when on the left side there is shooter on corner , and right side low post move from low to tow post
C) rules vs Horn
D ) mid penetration on X3 from wing spot on same side where there is a low post , who do you prefer helps ? X5 or X1 ' and where X3 rotate

I hope to have well explained since I couldn't paste diagrams

thank for your kind attention
Valter

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2015, 08:09 

Your terminology confuses me. I don't understand a "center carry ball screen" or "mid-penetration." If you would like, you can send me diagrams to my email, Don@Kelbick.com.

As a general rule, ay time 2 players come together, we bump. Whether that be ball screens, down screens, top screens off the horns cut, interchanges, middle cuts, etc.

That being said, the defense is very much personnel driven, I tend to call it the motion offense of defenses. Solutions for you might be different than solutions for someone else. Generally, we try to keep perimeter defenders on the perimeter and post players in the post. Sometimes that's possible, sometimes not. It would also depend on the level of threat that is presented. I don't fear kick outs, I do fear lay ups and my adjustment reflect that. I understand that you cannot defend everything so I try to pick the things that might hurt us the most, defend those and make the other things situational adjustments.

My adjustments are also born of 50% man-to-man, and 50% zone. This defense, while called a zone, is actually a hybrid. Offenses that make man-to-man adjustments (screens, etc.) I tend to adjust to it as a zone (more bumping and positional play). If they make zone adjustments, (spacing, ball movement, etc) I tend to adjust man-to man- (more pressure, passing lanes). This is also dependent upon what my personnel is capable of.

I also think that the adjustments you make are more dependent upon your defensive philosophy. Mine is that the purpose of defense is to stop the other team from scoring and the team that makes the most lay ups wins. My coaching reflects that. Anything else would be an adjustment but I won't compromise those core values. If yours is different, such as pressure and stopping 3s, then you have to reflect those.

I don't know if that helps but if you wish to email me we might be able to discuss it further.

PostPosted: 04 Sep 2016, 23:19 

We press full court, and want to fall back into this match up. Would you assign positions or would you allow all guys to play all the spots

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2016, 08:41 

We just take our players and move them up the court, in position, into whatever pressure we like. An advantage to playing this defense is you can play just about anything and basic responsibilities don't change.

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2016, 10:15 

So coach, we do some trapping out of our full court defense. Sometimes we are in broken situations. Would you just identify the sports (up wing, up guard, down guard, down wing, and center) and whatever sports they sort of settle into they would play that spot. That would mean you would sort of need to know every position. We don't have a true center.

Or would you have them fall back to their designated spots. Like this kid only plays up guard, and this kid plays up wing. We sub like this in our full court pressure. Each kid is only responsible for learning one spot on the press initially. This changes as we get more experienced.

Just would like your thoughts on that. Love the matchup idea.

Lastly I know your rule Is not to allow them to score, and no layups. Mine is the same philosophy, but we have traditionally been an on the line up the line defensive team. Our emphasis is more on being up the line to stop penetration, but we have built a mentality of not allowing easy catches. Can this matchup be played with an on the line up the line aggressiveness also?

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2016, 12:59 

I think your questions are much larger and are solved more with philosphy and less with the technical nature of the zone.

One of the major reasons there are responsibilities is so everyone knows what each other is doing and can adjust accordingly. In recovery from pressure (which is what I think you are mostly talking about) my primary goal is don't let them score and no layups. I don't care what you have to do to affect that, but just do it. I think the most dangerous time in a pressure is transitioning to your half court defense. If you lose sight of those primary goals in that transition, you do a lot of work but won't get anything done.

A scramble situation (which is what I think you mean by "broken"), I defend by principle (protect the basket, guard the ball, find a man), not by position. Once the ball is out of danger and the basket is protected, you can return to primary responsibilities by position.

Again, flexibility is a mainstay of the defense. You can defend how you like. I have defended by not stepping over the three point line, denying wing, pressuring the ball at half court and beyond. All by not changing the primary rules of the defense.