All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 11 Aug 2014, 21:45 

I'm trying to decide which pack line defense DVD to invest in; Dick Bennet, Sean Miller, Chris Mack or Jim Boone? I want easy to understand explanations of concepts and drills to implement the defense. As an example; I felt the layout and content of Al Marshall's 2-3 zone defense DVD was excellent!

Thank you

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2014, 06:36 
Site Admin

This DVD is not specifically about pack-line, however it does cover have a chapter (6) covering the packline:
http://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/pr/huber-defense.html

From what I understand, the packline is based on solid man to man defensive principles and then applies some adjustments in regards to technique and philosophy.

The Huber DVD is very thorough and easy to understand, like the Al Marshall 2-3 zone DVDs.

The Huber defense hinges on keeping players out of the paint area, so it has similarities to the pack-line. If you're looking for the best all around man to man defense DVD, the Huber DVDs would be it. They cover philosophy, all the fundamentals, a step by step process -- and adjustments if you want to run packline, full court, trap, etc. Pretty thorough.

If you're looking for something strictly discussing packline philosophy and concepts, something else might be better.

It has been a long time since I watched the Dick Bennet packline so I can't remember how well that is put together. I do remember the original Dick Bennet man defense on VHS. That was super boring but still one of the best of all time! I watched those VHS tapes a dozen times. I'm not sure about the new stuff as I only watched it once and can't remember what all was included.

Maybe someone else has seen them and can offer input.

I have yet to see a DVD as thorough as Al Marshall or Jim Huber on defense. Most of the others are filming the coach in a clinic setting. Some are good but just not as thorough or as carefully thought out in the progressions.

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2014, 08:17 

Hi Jeff,

I respect your opinion and was so pleased with the Al Marshall DVD that I'm going to take your advice!

Thank you

B

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2014, 08:36 
Site Admin

I think you'll like it but if it turns out not to be what you're looking for, just let Tonya know and she'll happily give you a refund. We want everyone to be happy with what they they order!

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2014, 08:57 

I Appreciate it!

Thanks

PostPosted: 16 Oct 2014, 18:58 

The Dick Bennett is the best one I have seen, as far as specifically teaching the pack-line, man to man defense. He breaks it down into drills that build the defense up from one on one to 5 on 5. He explains his post defense philosophy well, and demonstrates the BIG on BIG traps he used.

He doesn't front the post, which is something Coach Sartini and I go 10 rounds over every time I bring it up. He uses the BIG on BIG trap to chase post players off position if they get the ball. His son, Tony, uses the same method at UVA and it is very effective.

I have not seen the Boone or Miller pack-lines, but they are outgrowths of the system that Bennett taught. I still think Dick Bennett's is the best.

A tertiary source from Championship Productions is the GAP Man to Man defense that Jack Bennett (brother of Dick Bennett) taught. That is another fairly effective defensive system explanation, though I didn't find the breakdown drills as numerous or helpful. But overall concept was good.

Just my thoughts.

Brian Sass

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2014, 07:47 

As for dead fronting the post...... we had to do that because we were usually a lot smaller than onther teams..... but you better put a lot of pressure on the ball to keep them from lobbing the ball into the post.

IF you are outmanned, it wont make a lot of difference , play behind, they dump it in and they get an easy shot..... 3/4, you get pinned, same results... or they step out to the short corner and bury the shot..... bottom line, IF their Jimmy and Joes are better than your Xs and Os you will be in for a long night. ( Thanks to Creighto Burns for that )

My advice is to PICK YOUR OWN POISON..... make them beat you with their other players or options. JMO