All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 13 Jan 2010, 22:17 

I could use a little advice. I'm currently living in OH and have been head coaching here through the YMCA for 2 years. I had planned on forming a select traveling team for my daughters school. I was waiting for some more parent involvement before I went forward, but after finding out there would be no booster help I deciding to take the first steps to start it myself. It seems my inquires didn't go unnoticed, because after talking to some of the other traveling teams coaches and some of the parents, word got back and one of the school coaches called me and asked me and my daughter to join their team. Now I'm left with a big decision. Do we join their team NON-Select team playing less competitive basketball and get in good with the school coaches or take my chances and form my own SELECT team using kids from other schools. I'm in a bind here because, in small town USA turning your back on the powers that be, can mean little to no playing time for your
kids in the future. Any Advice?

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2010, 11:24 

Dj,

I think that you have to decide what is best for your daughter... the travelling team or the high school program. To me, I would let my daughter play with their program because you don't want to affect her 4 years at the high school.

While we hate to think that petty politics don't enter into this but it does... and as you describe it, in a small town everyone knows whats going on.... and you sure don't want to tick off the powers to be.

I know, I made that mistake once myself... and IF I had it to do over again I would have handled it a whole lot differently. So, IF you want my opinion... let her play with their feeder program... your daughter will be better off that way than some coach taking something out on her because of you. JMO