All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 12 Feb 2013, 17:24 

We are setting up a weekly, one hour instructional clinic for kids 7 thru 17 (majority will be youth thru 8th grade) this spring, from mid-march thru May. The big question for us currently is how to choose a best night and time to get the most participation from the surrounding communities. This is a new program for the sports club we will be working out of and we options of Tue Wed and Thur between 6:00 and 9:00. We plan to offer mixed age gender and skill levels and the clinicians will group kids appropriately into smaller groups as needed.

Also, can anyone recommend the best way to give kids and parents an option of days? One option we are considering is to open up more class times than we can expect to fill and them close them as needed and move to other classes. Not a preferred tactic, but may be neccessary because we do not know what the registration response will be. First time out with new program is a crap shoot. We have a town rec center that the cancelled because of not enough enrollment all the time but I know it can be dissapointing to kids. Another option that has been suggested is to ask on the registration form to choose a 1st and 2nd choice and see how the numbers work out.

WE also plan to offer individual and semi-private coaching on Sumday, late afternoon? Can anyone help with scheduling to give us the best chance at numbers?

PostPosted: 12 Feb 2013, 18:59 

My thought is if your product is a good one, the days of the week won't be a big sticking point. I usually choose clinics or camps based on who is teaching and the content.

Are any spring/summer leagues going on during the time frame of your clinic dates? If so, you could use that as a marketing tool to draw potential students. The leagues around our city usually have clinics or camps in between league dates and promote them as a way to get better for league play.

Do you have any "known" coaches that will be teaching at these clinics? That is another good selling point.

ritad9 wrote:
Also, can anyone recommend the best way to give kids and parents an option of days? One option we are considering is to open up more class times than we can expect to fill and them close them as needed and move to other classes.
The most successful leagues, camps, and clinics around here always seem to act like the space will be filled up quickly. I'm sure it's a marketing ploy, but it seems to work. I'd tend to go with less slots with the option to expand more if needed.

ritad9 wrote:
WE also plan to offer individual and semi-private coaching on Sumday, late afternoon? Can anyone help with scheduling to give us the best chance at numbers?
I think Sunday afternoons are a great time for individual lessons or Saturday late morning or afternoon. My son takes lessons at various times based on his school schedule and bball schedule. Usually, it's on a Sat late morning.

Have you worked out the details of what will be in your clinics? Your content and presentation of that content will be your best selling point. Who is teaching? Reasonable cost? Early registration discount? Different ways to win something during the clinics (e.g. t-shirts, towels, pizza certs,etc.)?